Ball Python egg box setup

I am using my c serpent incubator for the first time this year. I am planning on using perlite/water combo for ball python eggs. Do I get latch top boxes, do I put holes? What’s the best way to setup? It has a decent fan so worried keeping humidity if it has holes but oxygen if it doesn’t. First time breeding.

4 Likes

There’s a lot useful information pertaining to egg box setups here: Easy, fool proof egg setup

3 Likes

Thanks for the info! So this example latches it shut no holes and waits till about a week left to introduce new air. Sorry just want it all done right.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree with the idea that egg boxes need to be opened for fresh air in later weeks. Too many large scale breeders doing high volume production don’t and report high success without that step, even when using press n seal.

The best type of tub for your incubator may depend upon how much air flow is in there. I run a “Nature’s spirit” incubator that is relatively small and had too much air flow for the types of tubs I use. My first run in it resulted in eggs that were too dried out. They all made it but it was concerning. I even had a sensor push temp/humidity sensor in there that indicated 100% humidity the entire time. The air flow in the incubator was just too much. If the tubs sealed up better maybe it would have been ok. The next run I used press n seal and it worked perfectly. The eggs stay hydrated throughout the process. To me, the use of press n seal acts a fail safe in case of too much air flow and there’s no reason not to use it. I plan to use it on all subsequent clutches.

I also use the perlite/water method combined with an egg tray. I think people often over complicate that. The purpose of the water is to keep humidity up. The purpose of the perlite is to keep the water from splashing around on the eggs when you move the tubs. If your egg tubs aren’t real tall and you put too much perlite in the eggs will touch the tops of the tubs, which is very bad. I put just enough perlite in to keep the water from splashing around and enough water in that I’m comfortable it will not dry out during the process. Press n seal ensures that wont happen in pretty much any tub and incubator. I’ve seen some people who use only water. Some people don’t use egg trays and put the eggs directly in substrate, in that scenario a proper substrate to water ratio is much more important.

For eggs trays I use easy hatch trays but there’s a newer design out called dragon hatch trays. The dragon hatch trays are a little better I think but either will work great.

3 Likes

This is incredibly helpful thank you! I am worried about too much airflow because it is a smaller incubator with a fan. I have time my eggs aren’t here yet so I may do a press and seal practice run.

2 Likes

If you are able to pull the eggs apart you could put one or two eggs in each style set up. Whichever one works best you can move all of the eggs to and use in the future.

1 Like

No problem!

It’s definitely a great idea to do practice runs before the eggs arrive. I’m waiting on my first clutches this season and am doing that myself. I replaced my thermostat for my incubator and I want to make sure everything is dialed in perfectly.

On that note I HIGHLY recommend the sensor push system. Not only do I use them in my incubator I use them in each of my snake rooms to track ambient temperature. If the temps (or humidity) ever fall out of the range I set I get a notification on my phone and I know about it immediately. It’s a little pricey to get started at around $50 to $90 (more expensive ones display more precise data and have better water proofing, I recommend the $70 one) per sensor and $100 for a wifi router/gateway to send the data to your phone automatically through the internet (without it you can only access the data locally via bluetooth, I like to have peace of mind when I’m not at home, and I don’t like to leave my bluetooth on because it drains phone battery fast). I think it is a worth while investment as a fail safe though, well worth the $170 entry price for one sensor and the router. I read about people loosing entire collections due to things like unknown power outages etc (there’s a recent thread on this forum). It’s also really nice being able to go back as far as I want to see what my temperatures were.

Here’s a screen shot of my test box I’m running right now, looking good!

Here’s a good video reviewing the sensorpush system for our snake keeping/breeding purposes:

3 Likes

This looks awesome! I will be looking into it more definitely! Thanks!

1 Like

Do you replace the press and seal to avoid dripping?

1 Like

Towards the end when I’m checking on them I will but I don’t think it’s necessary. Here’s Justin talking about how he seals them up and generally doesn’t unseal it until he sees a pip:

3 Likes

We use c serpents hot box as well. Our setup is a snap lid with glad press and seal. No vent holes, the fan is plenty to move the air around. About halfway through, we’ll wipe the condensation off the press and seal and let them finish cooking. The more you open the box up, the more humidity you lose and your eggs will sink before they should. This is just how we do it, there are so many ways.

4 Likes

Where would you put this in the incubator?
I have read people putting it next to, in with the eggs or even in a dummy box.

1 Like

Directly inside the egg box.

If you wanted to get real accurate with it you could have them in multiple egg boxes to determine how much variance there is within different areas of the incubator.

I like the idea of having (at least) one in each incubator to continuously monitor temps in case of a failure.

4 Likes

Awesome thank you!

1 Like