Ball python hybrids?

This is, a bit, what I was getting at with my questions. Back in the day, a GTP was a GTP was a GTP but now we know there are at least two different species. So do we consider all the animals that trace back to Trooper Walsh and Eugene Bassett and all the other founders of GTPs in captivity to be complete and utter ■■■■ because they are really hybrids?

The same applies for carpets and retics

But that argument would apply to pretty much every python hybrid out there…

2 Likes

With a few exceptions yes. I feel like ball pythons are close enough physically at least to blood and angolans to justify hybrids. I feel the same about retics and burms and/or rock pythons, though I cant imagine why anyone wants to create that kind of hellfire lol. Carpets are close enough to Gtp’s and and handful of others. But I dont get crossing a ball python to a burmese or a woma lol. Again though, some of it is just a sort of exploration into the boundaries of what can be done. I also wouldn’t endorse anything that has to be accomplished through artificial insemination while we’re here.

2 Likes

Something else that people don’t often bring up with hybrids and their production is sperm retention. If you use a female to produce hybrids shes gonna need an off season between breeding if you plan to go back to breeding pures and even then I would have paternity test done on the offspring to make sure. I’ve heard some crazy stories of females producing viable clutches up to 2 years after having been with a male.

1 Like

To be clear the majority of the problem in Florida is not people intentionally letting animals go. It is natural disasters and people who are either not willing or unable to properly prepare for such events.

4 Likes

Snake Maury show here we come!!!

3 Likes

And you are not the sire!!!

3 Likes

Oh I know but using it as a piss poor example since there are now wild hybrids made by those escaped or released animals. Rocks x Burmese I think have been discovered

1 Like

In Florida they are EVERYWHERE and they will breed in the wild and some people wanna make smaller more docile versions of things and as long as they can breed naturally I have zero issue with hybrids and some of em are pretty dope

1 Like

I personally think a lot of the BP hybrids are down right beautiful snakes. I also dont see a problem in people producing them in captivity so long as the offspring are viable and have no quality of life issues. Whether or not there is a market for them is determined by the consumer as it is for everything else. In my opinion there is no more or less of a need to produce hybrids as there is any other reptile or animal for that matter. Its all up to the person producing them and the people buying them. It may not be for everyone but nothing is. Just remember those of you saying “oh that shouldn’t be done” or “there’s no need for that” there are people saying the same thing about you and the animals that you produce as well as the reptile community in general.

9 Likes

Good way of putting it