Ball pythons with missing eyes

What exactly are you hoping to achieve by breeding snakes with genetic defects?

1 Like

I have no breeders with one/no eye, and I am not breeding for this trait. If I did, it would be to prove my hypothesis that this defect is not Genetic at all. So no, Iā€™m not breeding for defects, genetic or otherwise.

So what kind of experiments are you conducting? Iā€™m having a hard time trying to see exactly what point you are trying to make. I simply stated I donā€™t breed snakes with defects.

1 Like

My point is that this defect seems to be environmental, or unavoidable and not genetic, hence it having nothing to do with either of the parents or any pair at all that you might choose to breed. Iā€™m not conducting any experiments because I do not wish to produce animals with defects. If I wanted to design an experiment to test what truly causes this defect - one might pair snakes known to show the defect, then pair those offspring, along with DNA assays taken of all subjects for comparison - or what I suspect would yield positive results - subjecting eggs to subpar incubation temperatures or conditions (hot, cold, moving the eggs, etc) Brandon has demonstrated some of these type of experiments he has conducted above. Personally I care too much for every potential baby to attempt skewing with my process for the sake of experiment. So I guess these are more mental, what if, experiments for me.

So your not doing experiments then?

Mental experiments arenā€™t very scientific

Everything we do is an experiment in that sense. This year I lowered my incubation temp half a degree. Thatā€™s an experiment. I believe it will yield positive results in contrast to say ā€œraising temps 5 degrees to determine effects on eye formationā€. We should always be performing little ā€œexperimentsā€ with our collections, that is how changes and advancements are made. I conduct plenty of ā€œexperimentsā€ this particular one is a mental exercise because I am not carrying it out, besides maybe the converse situation. I was replying because you said ā€œWhy even take the chanceā€ - and I think it would be valid to take such chances in the name of learning and saving future offspring from such conditions. What if you avoid breeding those pairs forever and continue to hatch no eyed snakes, because it isnā€™t genetic, then there would be no good done, and no discovery of the mechanism for deformity.

You gave the impression you were personally conducting scientific research.

I believe that I am, I believe that you should be too, I believe ethical experimentation serves our community well and we shouldnā€™t shy away from every possibility. Thatā€™s all! Not looking to cause any extended trouble hereā€¦

Scientific or mental research?

Research, trials, observation, discussion of anything pertaining to the species etc.

Ok I donā€™t personally believe it is ethical to breed snakes with visible defects this is my personal opinion therefore since Iā€™m not a scientist Iā€™m not going to conduct research. I will leave that to actual scientist.

1 Like

I would agree if it were proven that these defects are genetic and inheritable, and was proposing scientific methods by which we might come to this conclusion. I prefer to do all I can to obtain the highest level of understanding about these animals I have dedicated my life to rather than wait for the answers from others. Iā€™d rather be part of the journey that speeds up the solution. Hopefully we can end it here and agree weā€™re both on the side of ethics and defect free thriving healthy animals for the future?

And I prefer to leave that to actual scientist. I will stick with breeding the healthiest specimens I produce and not pass on defects into my collection or others.

1 Like

And if one of those healthy specimens produces 1 no eyed snake out of 10 perfect clutches, what will you assume? I would assume it had nothing to do with genetics, hence why Iā€™m here searching for and advocating for what I believe to be the true issue at hand - hopefully sparing you or anyone from no eyed snakes in the future. As in my personal experience they can arise in any group of animals regardless of a genetic component.

3 Likes

I would not repeat that pairing. Same reason I stopped pairing super cinny.

1 Like

We all can agree that the conditions of artificial incubation should be much more stable than maternal incubation in the wild, thus removing the selective pressure for the babies having a healthy development despite the barely adequate enviroment.

Lots of very broad assumptions being displayed here.

5 Likes

Thank you, that is a vital point because standards are everything.

2 Likes

And then if the defect continues to present itself in your other unrelated pairings, would you assume it may be environmental? Thatā€™s been my only point here! But I do think it may be best to let this lieā€¦

Super cinny, caramel albino, spiders, etc are all proven Genetic defects, I donā€™t believe this is genetic and that pairing or not pairing will do nothing to spare you this defect. Thatā€™s all! :v:

I said I wonā€™t personally breed snakes with visual defects genetic or otherwise. Or that produce hatchlings with visual defects genetic or otherwise.Period This is my personal choice.