Be Careful When Buying Rodents At Shows

I bought artic mice brand and noticed their heads are quite bloody as i was unable to view them because they are in printed plastic.

I know from reading some people say a picky snake will be more inclined to strike.( im not sure as im new to snakes) i guess some snakes dont prefer F/T ive also read some people crush the skulls for easier swallowing.
For me F/T is safer for the animal feeding plus i always felt bad about hearing my monitors kill a mouse.

I don’t want unnecessary cruelty. Yes my animals need to eat and they can’t eat tofu but i definitely don’t want to support cruelty.

I know a friend of mine fed his Reticulated python a rabbit and what he did to it actually scarred me for life.
Yes i raised rabbits and had rhe scars on my arms from corraling them at night so the cats didn’t get them. I understand what an animal can do to your snake or luzard or whatever but i can’t do what he did.
I honestly stopped hanging around him

1 Like

Very often, frozen mice will have blood on their noses just because of how the freezing breaks up some of the cells in that area, I am told. Do they look like they have bloody noses?

3 Likes

I agree, when I buy mice some of them have blood either from the freezing process or getting banged around in the bag, either way, it was after they were euthanized.

1 Like

They were like bloody heads not all though i think some may just be leaks as you said.

I do try to be as ethical about things as i can. And would never knowingly support a person or business that is cruel or abusive.

1 Like

Always a good idea and a big concern in this community. People have different stances on live feeding vs Frozen/thawed, which I feel is probably because some animals in some circumstances won’t eat unless it is live- So sometimes people do what’s best for the snake, ideally as humanely as we can. Many people do prefer F/T for the sake of somewhat more humane and much safer feeding.

I myself would feed live if I had to, but only if I have to, when it’s a case of the health of an animal. Then I’d try to ease them back to F/T later.

2 Likes