Beginner venomous

I do know there is a venomous snake called the black mamba that can kill in 15 minutes I believe

1 Like

Seems to me that, with all of the information and teaching that is going on with this person, I am feeling that there is a great amount of resistance to intelligence going on. Whereas he may have been ignorant of the facts previously, he now is an informed consumer. Therefore, if the attempts to further educate fall on deaf ears, then they are fruitless.

This person will get a venomous snake and keep it as a pet. I mean, he has a HOOK, for goodness sakes.

Its called Darwinism. Just let it happen.

11 Likes

“Survival of the fittest” was actually not Charles Darwin or Darwinism but rather an incorrect application of Darwinism by sociologists during the Gilded Era that was given the coin phrase “Social Darwinism”. They tried to use the idea that intelligence and wealth was an evolutionary trait or path that one inherited. This in fact, let them disbar and neglect the second class and immigrant class.

So, in the purity of science, always continue to educate because the one is the main goal. Not all may listen and learn but all must have the chance to learn and grow in understanding.

I am not saying that you @thegamingbaryonyx don’t want to learn. I can see the desire to own a venomous snake. Personally, I have a very ill mom, she took years of her life to have me and my sister. So, I have decided that venomous is not a true option for me, even though they are awesome. I can’t risk that something could happen to me because I need to care for her, and I also mean so much to her.

2 Likes

Everyone here has valid points. Forgive me for not reading all of this thread, but it seems to me that most of us fail to ask the simplest questions. @thegamingbaryonyx please don’t be offended, but how old are you? I only ask because you seem thirsty for knowledge but also eager to retort.
@t_h_wyman

11 Likes

Not a legal age for venomous snakes.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @knobtail1! Happy you are here.

2 Likes

After reading this thread I can’t add much that hasn’t been said but I’ll throw in a couple pennies.

There is no such thing as medically insignificant venom.

Every bite is unique, someone living through a bite doesn’t mean you will. Something those outside of the venomous world don’t often see is what a lot of the career venomous guys hand’s look like. Are you prepared to live without one or more of your fingers? Or with a completely crippled hand? Just because you don’t die from a bite doesn’t mean you won’t have permanent damage.

There is no such thing as a cheap hot. A $50 venomous snake, still needs about $1000 worth of housing and equipment to keep it and you safe and healthy. A good safe enclosure can run that much on it’s own. You can’t imagine what it’s a like to have a venomous snake loose in your house.

As far as hooks go, you should have an arsenal of them. Sometimes the snake takes one away from you or traps it in some way that makes it ineffective. You need another one right under hand to keep things calm and controlled. I’ve got several hundred dollars in just hooks in the room my rattlesnakes are in. Tongs are another thing I wouldn’t consider living without. A good pair of safe tongs will run you over $100 on their own and you may want to have a couple sets of different lengths.

Where things really get expensive though is the hospital. A medivac to the hospital is going to be in the neighborhood of $50,000. That’s before any treatment. There is almost no chance that you won’t get a six figure hospital bill for a single bite.

@knobtail1 good to see someone with your experience on here!

10 Likes

I won’t get a venomous snake until I’m 18+

2 Likes

I would strongly suggest you find a safe handling mentor in the mean time. If you’re taught correctly you could go through life and never take a bite. There is no street cred, valor, or anything valuable that comes from being envenomated. IG likes will not heal tissue loss.

9 Likes

Do you know any venomous owners in Minnesota

1 Like

No but MToxins is a venom lab in Wisconsin that I suggest you visit. There you can see venomous snakes in habitat at their zoo and watch venom production happen. Check out any podcasts you can find with Nathiel Frank who is the owner. Listen to and read bite reports online, that will give you a much better idea how dangerous this can actually be. Just do a ton of research. Listen to all the old episodes of the Snakes and Stogies podcast on The Herpetoculture Network as a lot of them are regarding venomous snakes.

6 Likes

I would like to listen to them, what episodes roughly? 1-?

1 Like

Start at the beginning and work your way forward. Pretty soon you’ll want to listen to all of them just to hear that golden voice from @knobtail1 :joy::joy:

4 Likes

Can I see some of your venomous section to see the venomous setups?if you mind ofc?

2 Likes

Ok, at least I know where to start. Number 1. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I only keep a few. I want to preface this by saying that before I ever brought a hot in my house I worked with them doing relocations for many years. I’m comfortable not having trap box setups but I don’t think it’s wise for anyone in their early years of keeping. A trap box allows you to do husbandry without ever having to handle the snake.

I use setups like these. The middle one with lock is the only one that currently has a venomous snake in it (an elderly Western Diamondback).

I don’t suggest anyone build them theirselves although I did build these. I’m a contractor so it’s quite a bit different than someone making a DIY venomous enclosure.

I suggest searching for Venom Proof Cages which are purpose built for the task.

7 Likes

Find a better role model.

You should take formal HOT education and handling like that offered through the Amphibian Foundation.

Also, be prepared for catastrophic medical bills (accidents happen) and ensure your local Trauma Center has access to the antivenin for your particular HOT of choice (unless there is a zoo in your area that keeps the same species you will need to acquire this and pay them to bank it).

6 Likes

I’ve been keeping snakes for 20+ years and I’m in my mid 30’s. I’m still at the “interested but not yet ready for venomous” phase.

I reccomend you try first with a reactive non venomous or non-hot venomous snake and pretend that it is venomous. See how quickly things can go pear shaped with a defensive, reactive, fast snake.

Acclimating WC Kukri Snakes to captivity has been my most recent reminder that I’m not ready. I’m not willing to get bitten by them, they don’t ride a hook well and they’re not thick snakes.

6 Likes

Everyone here has valid points. The best foundation with keeping Venomous is to learn all that you can and continue to learn more. Experience all that you can and be a knowledge sponge. Don’t learn from one person, learn from 20. And once you’ve learned from 20, learn from 20 more. I know it seems difficult, especially when you’re entering a community of very private people. It just takes time and persistence. There are essentially three parts to Venomous keeping, safety, husbandry, and knowledge of the animals. The first one is always safety. The last one is always safety. The old saying, “it’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when” is bull****. I know individuals who have kept venomous over 40 years and never been bit. It all comes down to safety protocols. There truly is no need to touch the snake. We do it because we like to, but on paper and in reality it is not necessary. It takes a long time to break unknown bad habits with keeping harmless reptiles. That is why safety is always the first thing on your mind and the last thing on your mind. It’s great to be passionate and want to learn as much as you can! But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have patience. And always remember, everyone has an opinion and that doesn’t mean you have to take it. But learning from lots of people is better than learning from just a few. @thegamingbaryonyx take a look at these videos, they should give you a good idea of how you’re going to start. I hope this helps.
https://youtube.com/channel/UC0KozTrYrzjiFI1CiPfiU6g

10 Likes

I strongly agree with everything in this post. Erie gave AMAZING points. I myself got into the hobby with the sole goal of owning a golden eyelash viper when I gained enough experience.

Here’s my tips to add onto this post:

1. Get use to using hooks. Use them for anything and everything so you can practice coordination. Even if you start with something like a corn snake, or just for grabbing a TV remote. The point is to learn balance, how to maneuver the hooks, how to safely keep control of what’s on it. Without it springing back on you.

2. Own as many non venomous snakes you can, and you can trade them when you need more room and other species for experience.

3. Work up from non venomous to rear fanged. Handle even a garter snake as if it’s a baby coral snake. Hands off, use tools.

Do these three for a long number of years. When you feel comfortable, then get your permits (depending on state or county laws) and move up.

This isn’t a decision to make lightly and have at least 20 years with as many species as you can manage. And even after that, try to find a venomous keeper in your area and help them clean enclosures and learn from them.

That pet you want can unalive you at any point in time, even with tools. Be aware, keep antivenin, keep a safety protocol notebook for yourself and doctors.
If at any point you find you are not willing to accept this fact, do not get one, appreciate them from afar.
If you are ok with your pet probably being the last thing you see, then continue on your goal. I know for me, my passion overrides and does not deter me. But this is a factor that stops most people.

I have worked with snakes since the age of 9 and I’m still on the rear fanged list. I have also owned over 40 species of snakes. I still won’t feel ready until I’m in my mid 30’s. But I will eventually reach my end goal.

I give you best wishes and to think about the pros and cons thoroughly

7 Likes