Beginner venomous

::remembers an incident with a very hungry very cantankerous wild caught savannah monitor back in the 90s:: ::also remembers a sugar glider getting lost in my sweatshirt and jumping around like a moron trying to get it out:: yeah it’s definitely not always fun and games :joy:

4 Likes

When I started with reptiles I wanted a ton of reptiles very quickly, I still want many of these reptiles but it won’t be any time soon and I’m happy if I never get most of the reptiles that I want. If I had more money to put in this hobby when I first started I think I would be overwhelmed and not enjoy the hobby. I’m happy having what I have and I plan to get and breed snakes, but it doesn’t need to be tomorrow. I have goals but I don’t rush to them. @thegamingbaryonyx hopefully this helps you understand that it’s best to slow down and enjoy it.

This is spot on!

2 Likes

All reptile owners probably thought that. I just love reptiles alot owning reptiles is all I really want except for the USAF which I want to join when I turn 18. I still want reptiles alot

1 Like

OK, so Im a USAF vet.

You feel like you can get a venomous snake when you turn 18. And you plan on going into the Air Force when you turn 18. Basic training is like 9 weeks, correct? And depending on the AFSC you choose, technical school can last up to a year.

So, your parents are all super happy about taking care of all of the reptiles you have for a year? Will the dorm room you will be assigned to at your first duty station allow you to keep reptiles?

Probably not.

Granted its been a very long time since I was in the military, I doubt its changed that much. Who will take care of the animals when you get deployed? Doubt your room mate will want to do it.

This is something you need to take into very serious consideration. I applaud you for your willingness to serve your country. But think about the animals.

8 Likes

Actually, according to USAF pet policy, reptiles are not allowed in on-base housing. At all.

3 Likes

I could ask my uncle who is in the USAF and he had a cwd in his house

Click on the link that @noodlehaus provided and read paragraph B. That pretty much sums it up. No reptiles.

2 Likes

I did read it but the but not limited to I get confused

2 Likes

Means it includes more than what is listed there.

1 Like

Exactly. It means everything on the list, and whatever else they feel like you shouldn’t have as a pet. Its a way for them to do whatever they want at a local level.

2 Likes

What is a cwd?

2 Likes

Chinese water dragon I thought people spell it that way or I’m mistaking it for chronic waste disease in deer

Yes you can die from bee venom and not be allergic. Many have died from their system being overwhelmed with venom, I am sure a full envemonation of a venomous snake injects morevenom n then the bees do. Also with bees ( I learned this from my daughters allergist) you can not test to see if your allergic. It’s very likely you will get a false result either way. The only way to know is to ge stung. My daughter has a history of anaphylaxis, which is also why I can not keep anything venomous including hognose and normally medical insignificant reptiles.

2 Likes

I am not considered experienced in the reptile world. I have been keeping since 2016 and have 51 snakes, most being ball pythons. So take what I have to say however. Absolutely no, only keepers who have been keeping for decades, have mentors to not only teach before hand, but be there every step of the way. Or zoos that’s it. None of us casual inexperienced keepers have any business keeping, working with venomous snakes. There is enough news stories out there giving PETA and our government reasons to ban keeping all reptiles. Volunteer at a zoo or large facility that keeps them. You get the experience of working with them under a qualified keeper without the financial and legal responsibility.

3 Likes

As a Navy veteran, having any kind of pet is impossible. Between barracks or ship living, work hours and underway times. It isn’t possible. Only a 10 gallon fish tank with fish nothing else was allowed in the barracks.

4 Likes

If you live near TCR then make yourself a frequent visitor. Get to know Sara and Bruce. Talk to them but be ready to hear some HARD truths (I know them both very well and neither of them pull their punches when they need to give it to you straight). Do not expect to just walk into a job there because you like herps. As Jess very correctly noted:

But if you get to know them and the crew, and become a regular, and really show your mettle then you begin to stand out from the background of all the other people that come in short-/mid-term excited. I still does not guarantee you a job in the future, but it makes you a more known quantity should you ever decide to try

Hogs are not picky snakes. I have, and have had, numerous of them. They try to eat everything, everywhere, every time. Waterbowl? :white_check_mark: Hide? :white_check_mark: Side of tub? :white_check_mark: Themself? :white_check_mark: Forceps? :white_check_mark: My hand? :white_check_mark: Your hand? :white_check_mark: Actual water while it is being poured into the bowl? :white_check_mark: Reflections? :white_check_mark: Paper towels? :white_check_mark:

I do not know that I would consider them a step toward venomous keeping, I think they are a little too derpy to enforce proper handling techniques.

15 Likes