Beginner's Python Advice? First(ish) Snake?

Goodness how’d you convince him to take F/T? Mine is being a pest about refusing to take anything that isn’t live. I understand this is normal for them at first, but it is obnoxious. (and more expensive) He’s barely hit a single year old, at my best estimate.

1 Like

Lol! When I got my little Marmalade he was already eating frozen thawed pinks, not live. But from the get go he was hit or miss. And it seemed like he was constantly in shed. Sometimes he would eat live ( when I got desperate) but then he refused and ate thawed. I have always had him in a tub, not a rack though.

I changed substrates, hides, foliage, no foliage, night feeding, afternoon feeding, tub size, in tub, out of tub feed, etc you name it!:grimacing:. And tongs or leave mouse in tub….
I think you get the idea. A couple of weeks ago I switched a few of my reptiles to bio active and now Marmalade is a different snake. It’s unreal. He practically jumps out of his tub for his FT mouse.

I have no explanation other than the total revamp. But I did not know that house snakes are hard to
switch from live to FT to begin with … I am serious!

I only know from Clint of Clint’s Reptiles, who is nearish to me, that they can be tough to get steady when theyre babies, but honestly I am tempted to get him going into a bioactive.

I have to move Finnley the python out of his baby enclosure and into the big bioactive, so I can make that smaller enclosure into a bioactive, and get it cycling properly so I can put lil Sangfroid in it.

2 Likes

IMO it’s worth a try! I am still amazed at rhe turnaround of my little Marmalade!

Best of luck and keep me posted!

1 Like