Best cheap beginner snake that can fit in a snake rack thats not a garter or ball python

Please read the community rules. Feeding photos or videos are not allowed.

7 Likes

I second this, I keep boas and pythons (Dwarf Boas are a good pick too, tho vary in price and need more vertical space) and House Snakes are on my short list for next species. I can’t keep Retics as they are illegal here (support USARK) but AHSs seem so cool and are closer to Elapids like Cobras than Colubrids! Especially the pretty ones lol.

2 Likes

My vote is for rosy boas & sand boas. & Ima mention Solomon island ground boas. As long as you get an established feeder. They are better ball pythons!

2 Likes

Putting a long, active snake like a corn in a rack is kinda depressing. They can grow 4ft+ and really like to explore and travel their enclosure. Even a 41qt is going to be pretty small for an adult. I use racks for balls and some other species, but not rats/corns

2 Likes

x3. My house snakes climb branches a lot, but also spend a lot of time burrowing in their bedding. They also would fit more comfortably in a 41qt rack than other species, especially the black or browns (fulginosis). My cape female is a decent bit bigger than my black females

1 Like

I know full well how corns behave as I kept one for over two decades in a large naturalistic viv

That does not change the fact that a sizable portion of corn keepers (and kings, and rats, and milks, and hognose, and < insert whichever species here >) use racks

The question was not about the moral/ethical side versus the practical side and we do not shame people for keeping under either process here. The OP asked a very specific question and that was what I answered

8 Likes

The dimensions which the OP gave do allow space for branches, rocks, and other things. This effectively expands the available area for a snake to climb on, explore and utilize. While I’m not familiar with the day to day activities of all the species mentioned, I can definitely affirm that corns and rat snakes enjoy climbing and will make use of any such enrichment opportunities. This is true for my adults as well as my babies.

3 Likes