Bioactive Dubia Colony

Mine are on top of a Viv so gets its heart source from there.

I love it when I mist and put food in as they come from everywhere. They have lots of egg boxes to hide in and I know they like the dark

4 Likes

Theyā€™re in the dining room which is used as a storage area. My dog is never near there and she doesnā€™t have any flea or tick chemicals (ie repellent collar). I used unused egg cartons and new eco earth substrate. I never misted it and it was getting dry which I think was the problem, especially since females were dropping their egg sacs.

1 Like

I have read that dubia require citrus fruit in several places, but I have no idea if thatā€™s true or not. I give mine the jellies from Roach World, and they really like them, but I donā€™t know if theyā€™re necessary. Maybe try offering some organic citrus & see if there is an obvious positive effect?

1 Like

If anything Iā€™ve given them too much citrus, I feed them oranges about every other feeding. I am going to try some premade roach bran and I will also give them some bug burger and see what happens. Theyā€™re still reproducing quickly so Iā€™m wondering it the dying ones were just old :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Possibly, maybe try a more varied diet.

Ours have apples, potatoes, bananas, romain lettuce, strawberries, carrots, grapes, dog food, pearā€¦

Anything that are okay for your reptiles, I tend to avoid citrus fruits like oranges but thatā€™s because they arenā€™t very good for cresties.

When I put food in, I also mist and they all come out looking for the food so maybe try that as it might be the food is sitting there a while before they get to it and maybe not as tasty so they are less likely to want it?

2 Likes

How often do you feed? Do you feed daily and each day take the old food out?

1 Like

I feed every other day, taking out old food as I put in new food. I forgot to add banana skin, it is a favourite with my dubia roaches.

Although I might do it more regularly in summer to stop flies etc.

I tend to put food in one section so itā€™s easier to remove.

2 Likes

Also I donā€™t bother them.

My husband will once a month will go through what is small enough to use for my Cresties and then I donā€™t bother them again till next month, other than to remove and place food

1 Like

When left to their own devices do you think that they will still keep their sex ratio (ideal 1:7-9) or do you have to sometimes remove adult males?

1 Like

I havenā€™t yet, but I have read a 3:1 ratio is best.

Weā€™re due to check them this month & that is something we will be starting to look at. Iā€™m hoping to have more females than males :crossed_fingers:

From most of what Iā€™ve read 5:1 Females:Males is the minimum Iā€™ve seen but the recommended is 1:7-9. Otherwise the number of males will stress out females by trying to breed and they stress each other out by competing. Too little and there isnā€™t any healthy competition.

I apologise, I was meant to say minimum not best sorry. Iā€™m multitasking as middle of the night with a sick child.

Thank you for letting me know about the ratio difference, Iā€™d obviously rather something like 7 or 9:1 ratio but I will keep in mind min of 5:1 ratio.

I hadnā€™t done much research in that area just yet as they were still to small, other than when I was first buying the breeding colony. I started with 15:5 and was a slow start, now I know why.

1 Like

No need to apologise, we all make mistakes. Iā€™m just trying to learn whatā€™s best for my animals (including roaches). I always wonder about different information in different countries too. Hopefully we can all learn something to improve our husbandry.

1 Like

I agree. Iā€™m glad you mentioned the ratio as that will help me when it comes to sorting them out.

I just need to decide what to do with the extra males when I get them.

I definitely recommend leaving them be as much as possible at the beginning as they are more likely to feel comfortable to breed.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to essentially ā€œforgetā€ about the colony for a few months until I get gecko hatchlings to eat them so the dubias will breed and will be extremely prolific. Iā€™m going to sex the baby dubias when I collect them and feed off most of the males to prevent an excess of adult males. If I do get adult males Iā€™m likely going to sell them for people who have larger animals (monitors) so they can feed them. Or even better I will get a garbage disposal (snapping turtle, monitor, etc.) that I will feed excess items.

1 Like

I might need to do donā€™t research on which reptiles eat them :grin:

Iā€™m not sure how it works with selling roaches but it might be worth looking into it I get lots.

Iā€™ve been trying to feed off what look like the males but as I need nympths to small size, itā€™s quite difficult so will have to see how Iā€™ve done lol

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to be vending tables at expos when I get hatchlings and Iā€™m planning to sell a ton of supplies like feeders from my colonies, reptiles, hides, enclosures, supplies, etc. So it would fit right in.

2 Likes

Apparently Iā€™ve reached my limit on likes so I canā€™t like your comment!

That makes sense, Iā€™m not one for selling at expo, Iā€™m more for buying at expos :grin: It gets way to crowded and busy for me.

Iā€™m more of a collector! Although I plan on breeding Cresties and ball pythons in the near future :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Last week Iā€™ve added buffalo beetles. As soon as I put them in they started to climb up the sides. After I added another barrier of sunflower oil most canā€™t climb but Iā€™ve seen a couple running around the room. :shushing_face: After Iā€™ve started keeping the tank humid the death rates have significantly decreased and Iā€™ve seen a lot more babies. As soon as the current babies are adults Iā€™ll likely start feeding off some of them.

2 Likes

Any update on the pothos? Did your dubias eat the pothos or leave it alone?

1 Like