Breeding females early

No. That would not influence my opinion at all actually.
Whenever you take almost any animal, especially a reptile out of the wild and introduce it to the captive lifestyle, almost all will live longer lives.
You can’t connect one with the other. Reptiles in the wild don’t have access to vet care, steady meals, fresh water, no predators etc. There are many many causes for reptiles in the wild not living a long lifespan.

7 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks

Ok guys so just a general reminder moving forward. This will be locked permanently if we have to adress it again.

Improve the Discussion

Help us make this a great place for discussion by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure your post adds to the conversation, think over what you want to say and try again later.

The topics discussed here matter to us, and we want you to act as if they matter to you, too. Be respectful of the topics and the people discussing them, even if you disagree with some of what is being said.

One way to improve the discussion is by discovering ones that are already happening. Spend time browsing the topics here before replying or starting your own, and you’ll have a better chance of meeting others who share your interests.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

When you see bad behavior or a possible TOS violation, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it . If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

If you have a concern or a question please reach out to the staff privately via PM do not do so on a thread. Let the staff handle any issue that may arise so it does not distract from a thread’s original topic, or escalate something that may already be under review making the staff decision more complicated.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: How many consecutive seasons is it safe to breed a Female Ball Python

To clairfy, the oldest ball python I know of in captivity was at the St. Louis zoo. I saw the animal several times in the back and the data card said the animal was imported as an adult either in 1954 or 1956. The last time I saw it was 2008, which would have made it a 52-54 year captive at the time. Given it was an adult when acquired one could estimate the age would be at least 54 years old but likely much older. I don’t remember the sex of the snake, just that it was sitting on a shelf in a 3’ neodesha.

2 Likes

I’m aware of that ball python.
But does that have any connection to consecutive years of it being bred or breeding females early? And because it was at a zoo, it would have had immediate vet care if needed and a very good food supply, making it one of the better looked after balls in captivity.

Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers. Just posting the info I know of.

Peace everyone. I’m out.

3 Likes

If you wish for your BP to live to be 50, don’t breed it. Pretty simple.

3 Likes

Don’t worry about it man. some people just get mad that you don’t agree with them but it does necessarily mean you are wrong. i appreciate seeing your insight since you are one of the great veterans of this industry.

I hope I didn’t come across as mad.
I was more wondering how @osbornereptiles connected the lifespan of that particular snake to the topic.
And also in this topic, I didn’t mention anything about how old a ball can live till, I believe that was someone else’s post previous to mine.

1 Like

oh no i didnt take it like you were mad at all. i just didnt want @osbornereptiles to feel like he said something wrong.

1 Like

If People want the wealth of experience from folks who have been at the top of the game for 20-30 years Here show some respect. They don’t have to be here and have very little to gain in the first place it’s out of kindness.

15 Likes

That’s amazing! Just wondering, what’s a neodesha? I used to love visiting the snakes at our local zoo growing up, and it seemed the same snakes were there through my childhood into adulthood. They also had excellent vets.

1 Like

Neodesha was a brand of cages from the 80s and early 90s. They were very minimal in design and cleaning them was usually very easy.

1 Like

I plan on buying a female who is 2300g. How should I go about feeding her since she is already up to weight. Should I just follow the normal eating chart for such weight or should it be changed since I want to breed her.

Feed them normally

3 Likes

Feed her normally just keep in mind most adult females will probably take some time to adjust to being in your collection. It may take some time before she will breed for you.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. I plan on getting her probably within the next few weeks and will try to breed her by late spring or early fall. Depends when my male gets up to weight.