Brumation questions

This upcoming season will be my first for breeding corn snakes. I have a wine cooler set up and ready to start brumation on December 1st. I’m still gathering information on the proper temps to use since i have found so many different oppinions on what the temps should be kept at. Is brumation even actually needed for breeding or will they breed just fine without it? I’m kind of nervous about my snakes going 3 months with out eating. Should i double up on feeding these last few months before i start brumation?

1 Like

It’s not necessary for corns, although you certainly can do it if you want. They will still breed without having been brumated.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve never breed corns before but I have successfully breed hogs without brumating them all brumation does is it kicks them into breeding mode I know some people who never brumate them they just light and feeding cycle them wickens wicked reptiles does it this way and you can find a lot of fourms about corns here’s one that I found Breeding without brumation... - CornSnakes.com Forums

1 Like

I brumated my corns last year from December 1st to February 1st and got a successful clutch from it. I start double feeding the first week of October and continue doing that weekly until around 2-3 weeks before I put them in brumation (to give them time to digest). I keep mine around 45-65 degrees, with 55 being the optimal temperature. I have heard of people having success without brumation, but I like to do it with all of mine.

1 Like