Burmese Python Traits [DONE]

In preparation to promote Burmese Pythons to a top level category, we need to build a trait list for the genes and combos.

For each of these, we need to know what kind of gene it is (recessive/incdom/dom) OR what combination of genes represent it. Feel free to additional lines and aliases.

Recessive:
Albino - recessive
Waterview/Wei Caramel - recessive T+ albino
Gulf Coast Caramel - recessive T+ albino
Ultramel Caramel - recessive T+ albino
Granite - recessive
Patternless (Green) - recessive
Labyrinth (Laby) - recessive
Pied - recessive
Champagne - recessive
Lava- recessive
Pin - recessive
Scaleless - recessive
Smoke - recessive
Stonewash - recessive
Fader - recessive
Butter - recessive
Butterscotch hypo
Sable - recessive
Melanistic - recessive

Inc-Dominant:
Hypo - incomplete Dominant, super form is Ivory

Linebred:
Leopard

Unknown:

Combo names:

Pearl = Hypo Albino
Blizzard = Ivory Albino

Other:

Bedrock / Leopard - this is the het form of patternless/green. Some show it visually, some don’t.

Jigsaw - this is the het form of Granite, some show it some don’t.

Striped - this is a random gene? that pops up in different heterozygous clutches.

Paradox - non-mendelian paradominant mosaicism

Dwarf - not a morph, but a subspecies
Silverside Butterscotch - a Dwarf morph, recessive

6 Likes

I spoke to @bobclark and he said he believes all the traits are recessive except Hypo.

1 Like

There are 2 lines of caramel, one is the waterview or wei line, the other is the gulf coast line. They are not compatible with each other, so should be listed as separate morphs, same way as the different lines of axanthic are for ball pythons.

Hypo is an incomplete dominant trait, the super form is ivory.

Scaleless is recessive

Silver sided butterscotch is a recessive morph that originated in the dwarf subspecies

Fader I believe was never able to be proven to be genetic, but I’m open to correction on that.

Regarding bedrock/leopard/jigsaw, these would be considered het markers, like het pied markers in ball pythons, I wouldn’t bother listing them as a trait, breeders can always just use these terms in the description if they wish.

3 Likes

Agreed with what was said above by Teddydalton

I proved Paradox as genetic. It’s non-mendelian paradominant mosaicism.

2 Likes

Honestly the first 9 in the top category is probably the only ones that need trait tags right now. Haven’t really seen the other ones in the states. I’d stop after dwarf. Can add more later?

1 Like

I also agree with this.

1 Like

I agree with teddy as well.

Looks like you’ve got everything pretty set. But to add to it Paradoxing has been proven to have a familial inheritance. And Champagne has also been proven to be recessive.
in regards to Smoke, Stonewash, Lava, Fader, and Butter. there is a language barrier that has been preventing a lot of information being obtained as these animals are not in the states currently.
And the other line bred traits I don’t think really need a subcategory as they are really just hets.

3 Likes

Also just noticed that the super form of Hypo the “Ivory” was not up there as well as Pearl which is a Hypo Albino.

1 Like

Yessss!! I’m stoked!! Looks like you guys got all of them!!

1 Like

Oh theres Sable! I believe it’s recessive. It makes black eyes…

1 Like

When will this go up?

Can’t say exactly. As soon as all the other things which are prioritized ahead of it are done. Hopefully in the next few months.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any extra information to add?

Especially regarding “stonewash”, “smoke” and “champagne”…?

2 Likes

Champagne is a simple recessive trait.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. I am late getting here. Everything looks really good. Thanks to all who contributed. Excited to see this launch!

4 Likes

Smoke, champagne, stonewash, and fader are recessive. Fader has a bit a of refining in other countries tho. When it WAS in the states, it was bred to one another (creating double hets not known at the time). There are 2 maybe more lines of fader. The project then was sold and died off.

Butter is said to be recessive from what I’ve gotten off of a few in other countries. But, like said below, the language barrier is hard.

Keeping a clear informative description on the linebred traits is important. Is there are a lot of misinformed people that think they are actual genes. (Which leopard was proved not to be by Tom Reagan in the early 2000s).

For the caramel gene, there might be a few additions to the lines in the coming years. I have an unproven line, and Ben Rodgers and myself are working on bringing the Ultramel line back with some pos hets.

5 Likes

Everything looks correct but champagne is recessive as well

3 Likes

Smoke - rezessive
Stonewash - recessive
Champagne - recessive
Melanistic - recessive
Butterscotch hypo - recessive
Stonewash - recessive
Fader - recessive
Anery - recessive
Butter - recessive

6 Likes

Woop woop Let’s go! Can’t wait! The future for burms is looking great! This will help alot!

4 Likes