Buyer complaint of animal dying a month after receiving shipment

@cdconstrictors, Corey, there is enough amiss here that anything you do is out of the goodness of your heart. like many others have said, if they are unwilling to call/Provide pics/necropsy, it sounds like you are either being scammed or their friend neglected their animal to death.

either way it’s sad, but it’s not your fault the buyer didn’t care enough about this animal to put it on hold, and wait a few weeks until they were settled before buying

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it

3 Likes

Requesting a refund after a month is ridiculous, especially with no proof the snake even died. A smart person would have paid for the animal and then asked for it to be held until after they moved.

Here are my terms of service. Everything is spelled out to prevent things like this from happening. By sending the money they agree to the terms. Feel free to use it.

Just so you are aware here is my policy. I guarantee alive arrival and your satisfaction for 7 days as long as you are home when the dragon is delivered, and you give me the correct address. Occasionally the FedEx driver will ring the doorbell and leave the package on the porch. This is why it necessary to have someone home watching for the package. If you have any problems with shipping you must let me know within one hour of the delivered time stamp. I ship through FedEx Express overnight shipping and ship on Monday for arrival on Tuesday. Packages are delivered the next day around 10-11:30 AM but can come as late as 4:30 PM. You cannot schedule a delivery time, and you MUST have someone available to receive the animal. If you are unsatisfied for any reason you can ship back the animal at your cost for a full refund. The refund will be issued once the animal is returned alive and in the same condition it was received in. I will not refund any more than the total purchase price. I take pride in raising high quality animals and I stand by the animals I produce. I am confident you’ll be happy with your purchase. If you agree to these terms send payment to my paypal account.

2 Likes

Was this a young man? I had a similar situation occur but I did not send the animal becase it was so odd…

No refund and no compensation of any kind imo. There are several reasons for this.

1. One month is too far long. My T&Cs are 2-7 days depending on the animal and the method of receiving the animal.
  2. It was not transported directly to him. Therefore, the poor animal has been moved around too much imo. It was probably stressed, which was the fault of the buyer. He should have been in a position to take possession of the animal before asking for the animal to be sent.
  3. There is no proof of death.
  4. He isn’t willing to speak to you.
3 Likes

In Holland, if you buy an animal from a registered company, breeder or dealer, you have a 6 months quarantee. It is the job of the seller to proof that the animal was healthy when sold. After the 6 month period it is the job of the buyer to proof that the animal wasn’t healthy when bought.

6 months is a awful long time. I suspect you would have to keep a well documented chart of feeding, shedding, pooping, on top of pictures and vet records, to prove that you have cared for it up to standards during the 6 months as a keeper.

1 Like

No not at all, within the 6 months it is the job of the seller to proof that the animal was healthy when sold. So best thing to do is to ask a vet for an health-certificate before you sell the animal. Otherwise the seller needs to pay for the necropsy when necessery.

When you have found out that the animal you have bought is not healthy you need to notify the seller asap but at least within 2 months.

This all is registerd in the dutch customer’s law. When you sell animals for proffit the animal is not seen as a living animal but just as a thing. That means that the you will have the same guarentee as when you buy a television.

That’s really interesting. In US States each state is different. You can see the variety here:

https://www.animallaw.info/topic/table-pet-purchaser-protection-acts

For the most part animal sales are completely ad-hoc from buyer to seller. Morph Market is like this with some sellers omitting any guarantee and some with guarantees of only a week. That is barely enough time to perform diagnostics including nidovirus, etc.