Calling all crested gecko owners!

Hey yall! I’m actually looking into getting a crested gecko — my dream reptile. I have a large vivarium already, but I need tips for proper housing, feeding, breeders, and more…basically I want ALL the information I can get about crested geckos from as MANY owners as I can. Please help me out! Thank you!

1 Like

I need to get something done but I should be able to help in a bit.

@foxreptile @ghoulishcresties

3 Likes

That’s how I do backgrounds^

And if you look theoufh my profile I have a lot on Cresties :sweat_smile:

But what size viv?

Lots of cork branches and plants, even cork tubes for them to hide away, then substrate wise we mix ours and use coco fibre, sphagnum moss, a little orchid bark, and even found sand to be an amazing add!
Also adding in springtails and isopods for clean up crew! We use dairy cows as found them best. So we also chuck some veg and fruit in the bottom of viv for them to eat also :blush:

Feeding wise, Pangea/repashy every other day and crickets 2/3 times a week.

3 Likes

Min 45x45x60/18x18x24 or equivalent for adults, only one adult per tank/tub.
I keep mine at between 24-28c/75-82f (sometimes a little less in winter).
I keep the humidity at around 70-75 on average. How often you have to mist to achieve this is gonna differ from person to person and setup to setup. Remember to let the enclosures dry out physically before spraying again, as constantly wet surfaces promote bacteria and mould growth.
Lighting isnt needed since they get vit D through their diet, but it is beneficial if you want to add it.
I use peat substrates with added isopods and springtails - as for decoration, live plants also great for these guys. Cork rounds and pieces, branches, and coconuts are also great, as well as pipe insulation.
They’re generally fed complete powder diets called CGDs (crested gecko diets) some good brands are USA: Pangea, Lugarti, Repashy, Zoomed (new formula) Europe: Gecko Nutrition, Nekton, Dr. Rhaco. P2W. I feed my adults every 2-4 days, growouts every 1-2 days.
Remember to give them a water bowl, contrary to what many guides say, they do actually use them.
Fruit and insects can be offered from time to time, but they’re not technically necessary since the powder diets are complete and not all geckos want them. They’re great if they do want to eat them though, but remember to add calcium + d3.
Would recommend to keep them for at least a year before you get into breeding, to make sure you’re actually invested in their care and know their behaviour beforehand.

2 Likes

Are you looking to get a baby or a grown up crestie?

Any particular morph/traits your interested in?

1 Like

I’m not sure the exact dimensions, because it’s at my friends house until I need it, but I do know he said it’s very large. He sent me a picture and it is quite big…if I were to guess the gallons of it it’d prolly be over twenty gallons…it’s a big tall hexagon tank, with plenty of floor space as well. Very tall.

2 Likes

I would really like an adult…the babies are incredibly small, and I would feel way more comfortable with an adult.

And, I would like a Lilly white, but really whatever I can find that seems healthy and is within my price range

3 Likes

Lilly whites are great, and rn you can find adult males for pretty good prices. I got mine RTB for around 300.

3 Likes

If you want to breed in the future, be aware that you can’t breed two LWs together - Also, they’re pm down to regular prices nowadays so it shouldn’t be too difficult to find one regardless of what your price-range is :blush:

3 Likes

Okay, thank you! I know I don’t want to breed cresteds…I’m already in the process of breeding my leopard geckos, and breeding cresties has never been something that had appealed to me…I would just like to own one…preferably a beautiful male😆

2 Likes

Ah ok, you mentioned breeders under things you wanted to know about so i figured you were planning to in the future :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Agh I’m so sorry for the confusion! I really should have specified! I mean reputable breeders… I’m not sure who I should get the gecko from, so I wanted to know if there was someone y’all recommended

1 Like

Were not allowed to recommend anyone specific, plus it also depends on your location!