Can anyone help Identify?

So, I picked this girl (I say girl but she hasn’t been sexed) from someone who couldn’t care for her anymore.

All I know is that she’ll be 4 in August, and that the girl I got her from kept her from being put down at a pet store when she was still tiny.

When I was asked if I wanted a boa, I assumed she was just a normal BCI but that dark tail is throwing me off! Can anyone help? I’m not planning to breed; just curious.

I can get more pics in a few days of need be; just trying to give her a few days to settle in before I try to handle.

4 Likes

Looks like an Anery of some sort due to lacking any reds. Beyond that I have no idea, awsome lookin girl anyhow, and wow I have never seen a tail like that!

3 Likes

When I first look at her I immediately thought Type 2 Anerythristic.

4 Likes

To identify Anery, we’ll need a shot of the tail. It can be very hard to determine on adult animals.

3 Likes

In the first pic you can see part of the tail, and it does lack reds

2 Likes

If I can catch her when she’s out exploring her enclosure, I’ll see if I can get a better pic of her tail.

Thank you guys for your help so far!

And I will say she’s nowhere near full grown; she’s around 4 years old but she’s still really small. Precious owner estimated she was only around 4 foot because they were only feeding her once a month.

1 Like

She definitely looks to have dwarf influence, in which case she is at a healthy size. With boas, it’s always better to underfeed rather than overfeed.

3 Likes

I managed to catch her out and about today but was too chicken to pick her up (I’m going to have to just reach in and grab her, but still trying to give her a few days to settle)

I will say there are no reds in her tail at all. It’s straight up black with the brown spots. Any red tones are coming from the coconut husk.

And I will keep that in mind about feeding; they had her on a small rat a month, and I’ll probably stick to that. Also not 100% sure it’s female. I’ll have to get her into my exotic vet here in a few months to find out for me.

2 Likes

If is a male then that would be a fine size

1 Like

I have come back with more pictures since I posted this; it turns out she (assuming until I get her checked) is incredibly sweet and easy to handle. I’m still curious as to what she might be, because I have yet to see another one with that black tail.

3 Likes