Can anyone identify the morph?

I rehomed this big guy around a month ago now. The previous owners couldn’t exactly remember what he is other than tremper, which he could just be that, but they vaguely remember the morph being longer than that alone. In most lighting he’s bright yellow with a few bright orange undertones or patches, and then all his marking are brown. I do love him either way, I have yet to weight him he seems quite large and long.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness what a beautiful healthy big boy! Bless you for adopting him! I am not knowledgeable about gecko morphs but you will get a answer from someone here for sure! Welcome to the reptile family! :heart::snake::frog::lizard::blush:

1 Like

Welcome to the community! That’s a beautiful boy you have there. Can’t tell you the morph, but there’ll be other people too :wink: Very nice of you to rehome him :heart: I’m sure he’s thankful :grinning:

2 Likes
2 Likes

What a big beefy beautiful man! I love his sparse chunky spots, he’s so unique! Does he have a name yet?

2 Likes

The lighting in the bottom 3 pics really makes him look too dark, but he does look to be a tremper albino based on the first photo and his eye visible in the second photo.

Anything else would be more of a polymorphic trait and they can be very subjective and not very easy to prove out, but I think he may be from the orange line of tremper albinos. They’re a bit bolder than hi-yellows, but lacking the dramatic colors a tangerine has.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen one like him before! I’ve searched everywhere and it’s just not quite what he is, either way I adore him and love that he’s apart of my little family now. His previous owners named him Mando, and felt he had to keep it :heart:

1 Like

This is all really useful stuff to help scratch my pure curiosity, I’ll have a look into the orange line! I just love all the combos on him, was very drawn to him when I saw him listed for rehoming.

Thank you very much for your response, though he’ll never been bred out in my care I can’t help but be curious :grin:

1 Like

He is such a wonderful guy, he really came from such a loving home. Unfortunately circumstances changed for the owners and I was so happy to be on the dot when he needed to go somewhere! The community here seems so helpful so I’m all open to speculations :grin::heart:

1 Like

Thank you! Everyone here seems very knowledgeable and helpful, so I’m all ears for any theories. I can’t help be curious even though he’ll only be pet only, he has sired babies with his past owners! :open_mouth: But he’ll just chill out here with me now, he just loves to lay flat and bask all day :laughing:

1 Like

Big beefy boy Mando! Consider me in love and I certainly hope to see more pics of the man here on the forum sometime!

1 Like

There are many different lines of orange Trempers- Red Diamonds and Red Devils come to mind. But most orange Trempers are not from a specific line and more orange Tremper ‘mutts,’ which are in no way inferior. They just aren’t a specific ‘line.’

I would call him a Jungle Albino- you cannot determine strain of albino visually. Based on previous owners’ description, it’s safe to assume Tremper, but any hets are unknown and any offspring he would produce would be ‘Pet Only.’.

Please read the link I posted above about morph ID in leos. Also @caron , @crestie-lover , @armiyana please share that post about morph ID I shared as well when people ask for morph ID in leos. It’s important that beginners get the info there to understand the meaning of a morph ID based only on phenotype. I’ve ID’d dozens of leos for folks here and it gets very painful to re-type it all, as I have CRPS in both hands.

2 Likes

Yes the community is truly amazing! This is a diverse group of caring individuals with answers and advice on just about any reptile, amphibian, or crawling creature! I have learned so much and have had the pleasure of conversing with so many knowledgeable people! I have become quite addicted! Lol! :frog::lizard::blush::upside_down_face::wink::joy:

1 Like

Tremper did have a specific line of orange years ago!
My first Leo was one of the geckos he would giveaway online from time to time. A tremper orange albino reverse stripe.
I think he ended up either abandoning the line for tangs or ended up breeding it into his raptor line for the OR of the acronym. There isn’t really a lot of mention of them outside of RAPTOR now. But of man is my pet peeve the mutts that people sell from RAPTOR line parents that are poor expressions of the line bred traits. XD;

1 Like

I remember- I got my first leopard gecko in ‘02. Do you mean Sunglows? Maybe you can find the name of the line here:

edit: forgot to add that Raptor now means literally any Tremper + Eclipse, it’s not line-specific. Just like how the P (patternless but not ‘Patternless’) has become obsolete.

1 Like

Nope. Tremper had a line he called orange phase. You can see it archived on his website history using the wayback machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010204010800/http://leopardgecko.com/prices2001.html

Edit: He may have just phased it into his tang line eventually. I’m not sure. I’ve been in and out of leopard geckos over the last decade or so, so I didn’t keep very good track of it betweenmy fist colony getting wiped and the few I have now.

Also, that whole wiping out the line bred super hypo/patternless is what I mean though, hahah
If I ever do sell hatchlings they will be from raptor lines, but not sold as raptors if they have spots. It’s how things like this happened in the first place really by just jumping on a bandwagon to breed and make a quick buck.

1 Like

When I saw those on his site, I assumed he was just literally labeling them by appearance. Meaning, if a baby was really orange, it was ‘orange phase,’ if it was more yellow, it was ‘yellow phase.’ It’s been a long time but I remember the word ‘phase’ being used a lot more then, and I was under the impression it just meant ‘phenotype’ not ‘morph.’ Just like how ‘Pastel phase’ back then meant any ‘literally pastel shades’ and not a specific morph.

But I could be totally wrong, Ron Tremper may have been using ‘phase’ inappropriately when he actually meant he had a specific line called ‘Orange Phase.’

I’d give up on trying to bring back the idea that RAPTORs need to be without pattern, that ship has long since sailed. Most leo hobbyists wouldn’t even know what we’re talking about.

Sad but true on the patternless part. But it’s still something that I’d want to stick to for myself. Trying to set a better standard for any I produce, assuming I do end up producing anymore Leos.

Phase was definitely thrown around a lot more back then and I personally take it to be more of a polygenic/line bred type of thing more than an actual recessive or dominant gene. Like ‘hypos’ and ‘super hypos’.
It could definitely be that I just try to keep to a stronger breeding practice regarding them? Or maybe I just have the old school leopard gecko train of thought too deeply ingrained still. Lol. So I suppose they definitely can be considered more of a phenotype/color descriptor.

All in all… It basically boils down to me still being super picky about what I consider the standards on my own geckos and breeding practice I suppose… which is really what I wish more people could be about, but that ship has long since sailed.

1 Like