Can I give 3 prey items in 1 day?

So my baby BP wont eat for the second time today. I gave my larger BP 2 rats (his and hers) earlier. Can I give him a third one tonight? He smells it and is out looking for it.

I know I shouldnt do this often but this once will it be ok? hate for the rat to go to waste,

No, definitely don’t do that. He already ate, let him digest

5 Likes

YOu think a much bigger ball python will eat a fuzzy?

1 Like

I don’t know if he will or not, but ball pythons are opportunistic feeders, and given that he has already been fed twice today, trying to feed him even more is a bad idea.

3 Likes

Yeah I get that but now I am talking about another larger BP that hasnt eaten today

1 Like

Seeing that there’s no minimum size limit I don’t see why not.

You can but I if you do I would recommend letting that snake digest it’s meal before feeding it again.

3 Likes

Well what I learned todays is that a snake will come looking for food, if it smells it, regardless how much they already ate lol

Thx everyone again

2 Likes

This is where it pays to have a garbage disposal, be it a snapping turtle or a colubrid with a faster metabolism! I’d say retic, but the buccaneers logo suggests florida!

1 Like

Or any type of monitor, LOL

1 Like

youre right no retics allowed here but I could catch a burmese python like an hour away :thinking:

happy to report the rat is gone after leaving in my yard over night. I definitely didn’t want to hurt my snake but I didnt want the poor rat’s life go for nothing so I feel better.

1 Like

Can you recommend a “garbage disposal” that could live in a 40 gallon tank as an adult? I have had turtles before but never a turlte that is almost entirely carnivorous

I will slightly buck the consensus here.

When feeding an animal, number of prey items can be somewhat fudged when you account for total mass consumed.

As examples: Would I feed a 700g male ball three medium rats? Never. Would I feed a 2500g female ball a dozen mice? Absolutely. Would I feed a 2.4m blackhead three large ReptiLinks, a dozen chicken hearts, and a score of smelt? Might happen once in a while now and then.

The total mass of food consumed consumed in each case is the determining factor.

Saying “3 prey items” is too loose of a criteria for us to be able to judge. If it is one small rat and two fuzzies going into a 1600+g animal, I do not see it as a problem. If it is three crawler rats going into a 300g animal, then we have an issue

10 Likes

Always on point as usual Travis

3 Likes

This was dumb question and I already knew the answer. But we were talking FT rat fuzzies with a 200gr snake.

I did get the snake to eat a live rat fuzzy this morning. She was going on 3 weeks since I got her from the breeder and she just ate for me for the first time.

1 Like

The total mass of the prey item(s) offered is likely a more relevant factor than the number of prey.

2 Likes

Do you have a dog or a cat? They get hungry too, for a treat.

Actually I have a large pitbull but I wouldn’t give a dog raw food unless that is their normal diet.

Sure dogs can take a raw diet if that is their normal diet. If you feed your dog bagged food then dont give that dog raw food.

1 Like

Being completely new to the snake life, in my research I have not come across people giving “treats” to their bp. My bp is also 200g eating ft rat fuzzys, so when you say treat do you mean like a mid week rat fuzzy or something smaller? I currently do 1 feeding a week but if I could give him a little extra every now and then and know it won’t be too much for him then that would be pretty cool!

I think he was saying my dog or cat would like a treat. Instead of tossing the rat I could give to a dog