Caring for struggling hatchling

If an animal is truly underdeveloped though then eventually the animal would die I would assume. But if you give underdeveloped babies a chance they can grow and catch up. You don’t generally let underdeveloped babies just die, you give them a chance to survive even if it’s a helping hand for a while. If the animal is truly unable to survive on its own it will pass.

2 Likes

The op has been force feeding it 5 months with zero indications that the snake will ever thrive on its own. I personally feel like they have tried they gave the hatchling a chance. This animal would of died a long time ago without the force feeding. And if it has internal issues I’m sure it not a pleasant life for the snake.

1 Like

I definitely think the op has definitely done an amazing job caring for this animal! I have absolutely nothing to say against that especially when others may just have culled it without giving it a chance. I was just stating that if I was in that position I would keep feeding it because I have been in a similar situation where the animal comes out the other side thriving. If they decide to euthanize then I completely understand. The whole process is stressful for human and animal alike and at what point do you say that it’s enough. I’m just a stubborn person and would keep trying I guess is all I’m saying. I had to sew up a 5 inch opening on a brand new baby ball Python this season and super glue it shut. Took a lot of patience, forced feedings (afraid the meal might split open its stitches) and time but now she is doing fantastic. So I understand when you feel like this animal is going to die and there’s nothing I can do but my best.

3 Likes

:100: agreement with you!

That’s the hard part for sure!

I personally agree with the op but I would also respect your right to keep trying. It’s a tough situation for anyone to be in for sure.

Definitely think hearing both sides of the issue gives the op or anyone in this situation more to think about. And help him or her make the decision which they feel is best for the animal and them.

2 Likes