Colubrid Recommendations

I still want these :joy:

5 Likes

I can really see how that can happen. I haven’t looked into them much, but it’s difficult to find extensive information on their care or information on breeding. I would love to get rubber boas someday, so I really appreciate your input.

I was considering getting pvc enclosures for whatever I get to display them better. So, while it’s different than my original plan, this is completely fine for me.

I did actually think about these, I love this species, but they aren’t towards the top of the list (partially due to being unhandleable).

I’m not set on GBK, but as of now I want those more than the other options. I’m considering milksnakes, since they are super cool looking, and it would be fun to work with morphs and have some variety in a clutch. I still have plenty of time to decide on a species, but I’m really leaning towards gray-banded kings (I love the look of the highway 277 locality).

8 Likes

I love my MBK, so I wouldn’t give up on them. But, my next king species will be some beautiful GBKs!

6 Likes

Yes I totally agree with what you are saying. One needs to know what to expect and what will be required for keeping keeping and breeding……:blush:

6 Likes

Sounds to me you might be looking for something a little more rare and challenging to work with. While I really like all the suggestions, especially the kukri :grin: I’m going suggest possibly some of the Japanese rat snakes 100 flower comes to mind, maybe some of the rarer cave dwelling rat snakes, possibly Russian or ladder rat snakes as well. I also really like viper boas, but have heard the hatchlings don’t have the greatest survival rate so far… and the can be a tad defensive. These, with the exception of some of the larger cave rats stay manageable in size, not a lot around and a great locality type of variety in a lot. I don’t know, just throwing out some different interesting snakes to me. I am sure whatever you pick you will do great! Just pay the pic fee, and update us regularly!

9 Likes

Yep! Advice isn’t always free, ya know!

7 Likes

I’d go for the grey banded king, garter snakes, or ribbon snakes. The grey banded kingsnake is the first snake i ever wanted as a little kid and still have yet to get lol. Maybe one day… I have been recently considering a group of garters and i really like the morphs so can’t go wrong with those. Also been considering getting a paludarium with ribbons because they like the water.

7 Likes

Have you considered tri-coloured hogs? I’m not sure if that’s too much like what you already have, since you already have (I assume Western/plains) hognoses. But you’d get the beautiful colours of a milk snake with the adorable face of a hoggie! I just love those guys.

If you can find one, a night snake might be fun. They’re native where I live, so I see them occasionally, and the wild ones I’ve found have always been very sweet and placid, plus they have a really beautiful pattern. They’re rear-fanged, but since you have hogs, I’m guessing that’s not a deal-breaker. Their venom is nothing to worry about, and they’re small, so they’d have a hard time envenomating you even if they wanted to. They don’t seem super popular in the pet trade, but I do see them from time to time on MM. No idea if you can get them CBB.

6 Likes

@banereptiles Rat snakes are pretty cool, so these are some new species to look into.
@baby_yoda I’m definitely getting gray banded kingsnakes, hopefully this year. A paludarium setup would be really cool, it might just be hard to do on a large enough scale for those, compared to something like a gecko (and water setups scare me away with water maintenance, but it’s still a possibility).
@jawramik Tri-colors are on the wishlist, lol. Their short life span isn’t ideal, but if I’m breeding them, it’s probably not a deal-breaker. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of night snakes, but those seem like they could be fun to keep.

I also found a pair of honduran milk snakes. Breeding them would give me normals, albinos, anerys, and snows (albino het anery x anery het albino; I love variety in babies). This is a pair that I wanted to get, so finding a sexed pair now with the genetics I’m looking for makes it a pretty tempting option (which would mean I hold off getting another species for a while). I’m going to sit on it for a week, since I have a ton of options right now.

9 Likes

What about Mandarin Rat Snakes?

7 Likes

Two words for you:

Black

Gap

I love my Black Milk, she has a tonne of personality

I do not keep them but I have heard wonderful things about rhino rats. Got a few friends with them and they say they are super gregarious, always out on display, and very good with being held

If you just like the niche rubbers fill but want something without the temperature requirements and the like, might I suggest Calabar boas? These are very literally the African equivalent to rubbers, but their range pretty closely mirrors that of ball pythons so you can keep them nice and toasty year round. Super placid, really curious, wonderfully handleable. Any time I have someone that wants to try holding a snake but are worried about being bitten, I pull out one of these because I am certain they would never bite (their jaws are not like normal snakes and they cannot open them wide). They are still not well understood in terms of captive breeding (which is why I got in to them, because I like learning new species) so 95% of what you find will be WC, but they transition over to captivity pretty well

My adult females

My adult male

And three of my four younglings

12 Likes

Thank you for introducing me to these goofy little nubby tail dudes, they look so silly its delightful!

6 Likes

I actually have a good number of the suggestions above…great suggestions…everyone! Not alot to add. Outta of all those listed…my vote goes for Bamboo rats snakes…I absolutely love my 2. Just be sure to watch your temps…cooler weather high altitude snakes. Another great choice is a Mandarin rat. One not mentioned I would recommend are Madagascar Cat eyes.

6 Likes

Kai…my Thai Bamboo (coxi)

8 Likes

Korin…glod phase Madagascar Cat eye

7 Likes

The way a boa is iridescent …the bamboo are kinda "pearlescent "

5 Likes

There white belly scales are pearl

5 Likes

The Bamboo are kinda intermediate…do research…thry litterally cant get to hot & need high humidity…it can be tricky during the winter depending on where you live. & the Madagascar cat eye a pretty well keep like I do my kingsnakes ( Florida/ cali) eats like one too…lol

5 Likes

My Bamboo cant be in my reptile room during summer because I dont air condition that room…they have to stay in my front room with Air conditioning!! Great displays pets…up in the mornings mostly for hours

4 Likes

Kinda nice…no heating. .period…just glass tanks.

4 Likes