Conflicted on what to buy

I’ve saved up about $600 to buy a mate for one of my reptiles, but I’m not sure on what to buy. I want to buy either another crestie or another hognose, and I want to hear other people’s opinions on which I should get. I could really go either way right now.

2 Likes

No point in my opinion. But I look forward to seeing what you choose! :joy:

2 Likes

Well, because you have both males, it really doesn’t affect you very much. You’ll still have to wait for your female to get up to size. So here comes the hard question, what do you want to produce first? Hognoses or Crests?

It takes them about the same time to get to breeding size, if you get good feeders.

4 Likes

That’s a tough one. I love ‘‘em both so much. I guess I’ll just have to think about it for a bit.

4 Likes

Just remember, hogs are snakes, so they are awesome. Lol :joy:

7 Likes

Crestie because they are…cresties!

4 Likes

Both! :joy: Maybe a BP? :grin:

2 Likes

Nah, Dav’s just a pet. Maybe he’ll be a breeder in the future, but not now.

4 Likes

Maybe I could also buy a pair of something? :eyes: Like maybe children’s pythons? I haven’t fully decided yet. I’m leaning towards antaresia or hogs.

4 Likes

I read the initial post as males instead of mates. :woman_facepalming:t2: They do take 3 years to get to size for breeding I think, so it could be doable.

Are you interested in Leo’s or fatties? Could do a pair of those?

However, if you want to get into Lilywhite, you could do a crestie. Or a few if you wanted. Maybe a tribe of ladies?

2 Likes

Yeah, fatties could be a good option. I’m really not sure what I’m gonna do, but I’ll probably do hogs or fat tailed geckos now.

3 Likes

Have you considered tricolor hognose…? Unique species, fairly straight forward and easy care, and something a little different. We hatched out about 30 this year - the females multi-clutch from one breeding.

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought about them at one point, but I’m really more of a western hognose guy. Pretty sure that’s what I’m gonna go with.

2 Likes

This is my favorite plan lol but I love children’s pythons!

2 Likes

Maybe you have thought of this already but in regards to the hognose I would determine first what would be the best pairing with your current one. What morph do you have, what would pair best with it and can you get that female within your budget?

2 Likes

I would day a hognose, but, it’s truly up to you in the long run.

1 Like

If she is open to them, I love these small guys, always full of attitude. I think they could be just what she is looking for!

1 Like

I agree with you on this, if you were going to consider a hognose, you have to think about what to buy, and if you should pair it with your snake you wanted to breed it with. If you were thinking hognose it is smart to think ahead… What snakes will you possibly have In The future, and if you get a male, how long until you can breed him? How long if it is a female as well?

2 Likes

If so we’re to get one, I’d get an axanthic conda or a het snow to pair with my conda het snow. That’s based purely on my current budget.

2 Likes

Out of those two options I would go conda het snow. You would have more genetic diversity and although not impossible I feel you’d be hard pressed to find a female axanthic conda under 600. Whatever you decide though, hog, crestie or pythons I don’t think you’ll regret any individual decision. Good luck!

1 Like