Craigslist buy

Ok so I’m thinking about getting this what I think to be pastel ball python, seller doesn’t know gender but says it had surgery a year ago do to tape getting stuck on the skin and scales I’m only paying $20 do yall think it’s a good buy? Could there be any other Gene’s at play

6 Likes

@nathan_e @wreckroomsnakes

2 Likes

I love that you are calling in the pros :wink::metal::wink:

1 Like

it looks like a pastel nothing more. $20 is typical for a pastel. It’s a good deal if it works for you.

2 Likes

Yep I agree with Mary on this one. $20 is not bad at all but just be sure to ask the seller if the surgery has affected the snakes eating habits or mobility in any way.

1 Like

I did ask those questions seller stated that it hasn’t affected eating or mobility

2 Likes

Ok so I picked it up today and it seems it has a stuck eye cap is there anything I can do @nathan_e @wreckroomsnakes

well what I have done to treat this minor issue is 1.) let it soak for 15 to 20 min or 2.) get a wet q tip and GENTLY rub it off. I cant stress how gentle you need to be because once you startle a snake no matter how slightly they can be hard to handle for the rest of the time you have them out. If you do decide to soak her let the water be deep enough to where she can submerge most of her self but do no over fill it to the point where she can’t easily stick her head and neck out. If it makes you more comfortable put a rock or hide in there with her so she can climb up on that. I trust that you have good judgment so just fill it to where she is safe.

I agree, soak in shallow lukewarm water first. But an old trick that works is to use scotch tape. Carefully touch the middle of a couple inch piece of tape to the stuck eye cap then pull slowly off towards the tail of the snake. I used to work at a rescue reptile center, almost all ball pythons we received came in with stuck shed, this seemed to almost always work for me. One more thing, make sure it is stuck shed and not a damaged eye from rubbing, rodent bites ect. Cause you could really hurt it if it’s injured. Good luck! Pretty snake

2 Likes

There is a section in here to deal with eye caps. Be careful and make sure you know 100% that is truly is a stuck eye cap BEFORE you start trying to pull it off.
How to Treat Stuck Shed

3 Likes

I think it might also have an ri so I have it in a different room then my other reptiles so its quarantined and I will get a picture of the eye in a little bit just to make sure it’s a stuck eye cap @nathan_e @wreckroomsnakes

I can’t stress enough how important quarantining ANY new animals is, always keep the SEPERATE from your collection.

2 Likes

Yes I know it was gonna be quarantined even before I found out it was sick

@nathan_e @wreckroomsnakes
Good eye

Bad eye

1 Like

If I were you I would just let her soak since alot of snakes with stuck eye caps tend to have stuck shed on other parts of their body in my experience. Should also loosen up any eye caps she has.

2 Likes

based on those pic she looks some what dehydrated and could you a humid box for sure loosen up that eye cap and get here some much needed water.

3 Likes

Ok I will give her/him a soak tomorrow because it’s somew what cold in my house around this time

1 Like

Sounds good from my end.