Cryptosporidia in Kingsnakes

Crypto ripped through my collection in like 2009. I had 80-some snakes at the beginning of the year, 11 at the end, had to hault the selling of anything, and snakes puked till they died. All you can do is throw away every single tub/tool/etc and start over, I even completely switched rooms that the snakes were in. Basically its like if covid was as deadly as the media claims it is lol… cause once a snake gets crypto theres no coming back. It starts puking its gonna puke till it dies. Out of the 11 snakes I had that survived the 2009 crypto bs, none of those died from crypto, and 1 of them is still going.

Just wanted to drop a happy update. Lt. Dan’s labs came back today crypto free! So happy for my handsome boy. That means he has a chance to get better. Vet said he has lost a lot of weight and is too small to take a blood sample so he wants to treat for bacterial and viral infections concurrently. I’m bringing him back in tomorrow to learn how to give a snake shots. Had to learn a few months ago for my tortoise so I’m not not experienced right? Lol thank you all for the helpful info and kind words. Got lucky and dodged a bullet this time, but I’d never even heard of crypto. Scary learning experience, but a valuable one.

6 Likes

I’m so glad he tested negative! Hopefully the cause of his problems are identified and he gets better.

2 Likes

Super great news!

2 Likes

Aww, yay for no crypto! That’s got to be an incredible relief.

Sadly, Lt. Dan has passed away. I had an appointment this afternoon to get him his anti-biotics and a liquid diet to start treatment. I got home from work to pick him up and he had passed. Thank you all for the info, help, and kind words. Very sad he’s gone. He was such a handsome boy. He had a sweet, inquisitive disposition. He will be missed.

5 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. You gave him a great life. Are you planning to get a necropsy done?

2 Likes

Aw, dang that sucks. I’m so sorry to hear that.

2 Likes

Oh wow, I’m so sorry to hear he passed away.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear he passed away. Looking at the pic of him above I agree he was a handsome noodle. Are you planning to have an autopsy done to find out what went wrong?

RIP lil guy :pensive:

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure. What I am going to do yet. I haven’t ever had to. Do you guys think I should?

I would recommend it, it tells you the cause of death which could be important so you can prevent others in the future. Refrigerate the body (not freeze) and get it to the vet as soon as you can.

2 Likes

A Necrospsy is recommended since he could have a disease that could spread to your other animals. Make sure not to freeze him and only keep him in the refrigerator. You have around 2 days to get the necropsy done and have the results be accurate. You can get it done after that but the results won’t always be 100%.

3 Likes

Ok. He is still in his tank. I hadn’t decided what to do with him yet. I’ll put him in Tupperware and called the vet tomorrow. Thanks.

1 Like

Start by putting him in the fridge and cleaning the tank extremely well. You don’t want any diseases spreading from bugs or the next animal to go in the tank getting any.

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about Lt. Dan. Given the circumstances, I also agree that a necropsy should be performed. We are all here to offer our support when you need it. Sending lots of love from our slithery family to yours. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you all. Dan is resting in the refrigerator. Put a call into the vet about doing a necropsy but I won’t hear back until mid week. Might be too late but I’ll see what the good doc has to say.

Oh, I’m sorry for your loss.

1 Like

I’m so sorry that he passed on. He was very handsome, and obviously well-loved. :heart:

1 Like