Dart Frog traits - Category upgrade! [DONE] [1571]

So, all the exaded localities, along with “morphs”, will be trait tags like here…

Below that you will find sub categories for the species…

1 Like

Actual morphs like these examples are actually mildly rare and are not usually a general consideration while keeping and looking for dart frogs. I don’t know of anyone that looks for or keeps specifically albino dart frogs, for example.

2 Likes

Nobody knew anyone that kept Albino Burmese untill Bob Produced a clutch. Now it’s hard to find a burm keeper without some designer morphs :wink: maybe having a place to find outcrosses to other albinos may change that…:man_shrugging:

Either way we want to document them somehow.

1 Like

The problem with this is, there aren’t “designer morphs” as far as dart frogs are concerned, because of the purity of keeping the localities isolated. This is why dart frog species and localities aren’t cohabitated. It’ll be interesting to see what comes available in these categories, mostly because I don’t recall seeing any ads in the past for dart frogs with morphs such as are mentioned.

2 Likes

Right, I have updated the top post of this thread to reflect the recommended changes.

Can you guys double check it for me?

1 Like

There are a lot less species and localities but is this what it would look like?

How do the extended categories work? Would it be Dart Frogs → Dendrobates → D. tinctorius → Azureus? Or would it be Dart Frogs → D. tinctorius → Azureus?

The top part looks good to me.

1 Like

I thought I responded to this earlier, my apologies. I think it looks good.

3 Likes

Holy smokes, that is a lot of categories…
@eaglereptiles this will be a wonderful addition.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly like that!

This one. We currently only support 3 tiers. Categories → Subcats → traits.

One day in the future we can expand on this and create additional tiers but for now I think this should work to please most of the community :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

The above has been altered with help from one of my most trusted sources, who checked each species according to:

• (a) whether the species exists in US collections or is likely to legally be in the foreseeable future, and
  • (b) whether the species is only known in US collections from recently trafficked specimens.

This was done by using Dendroboard archives and a general web search to determine whether the species exists in collections, CITES to check the import status, and ran the list past two current DB moderators and a mod emeritus (that’s a new word for me).

@wrai @arcanicdragon @ghoulishcresties any questions?

1 Like