Day 66 and counting

My Het Palmetto x Het Palmetto pairing dropped first clutch on 26 APR. It’s been 66 days at 81-83 degrees. All the eggs look fantastic, candle well and movement inside. But boy am I getting impatient :joy:

14 Likes

Is this clutch being materially incubated? If so would
You mind shearing your experience

2 Likes

No, that picture was from when she laid them. I probably should have said that.

2 Likes

It’s hard when they get close, isn’t it? I’m not very patient those last few days. I notice you called this a “first clutch.” Does that mean she doubled?

3 Likes

Yes she did. 21 eggs on first, 14 on second.

3 Likes

I don’t blame you for getting impatient! One reason why I’m convinced I’m not cut out for reptile breeding is that I am not patient, and it seems like a whole lot of breeding revolves around waiting for things to happen. You get successful locks with a pair…and then you have to wait for eggs. You finally get eggs, and you have to wait and wait and wait for them to pip. Then they finally pip, and you have to wait some more for the babies to actually emerge. It seems absolutely crazy-making! Especially when you add the fact that at any point along the way, something could go wrong and all that waiting turns out to be for nothing. Just because you get locks doesn’t mean you’ll get eggs. Just because you get eggs doesn’t mean you’ll get babies. I don’t know how you can stand it and stay sane!

In any case, I hope you get some healthy, beautiful babies soon and that all your waiting and patience pays off.

4 Likes

Nice. Did you reintroduce the male after the first clutch? That’s a lot of fertile eggs!

2 Likes

I can’t speak for the OP, but neither can I confirm my sanity at this point in the waiting game… lol

4 Likes

I did. I let her rest and eat a meal every 3 days for 3 weeks and then put him back in for a day. Never seen a lock but I kept feeding her every few days. Then she went into a shed again and off food. I expected 4-8 eggs max, definitely not 14 more.

3 Likes

I am at the edge of my sanity with this first clutch. Day 67 now, @ stable temps. Everything online says they should pip from 56-60 days.

Clearly they haven’t read about what they should do and didn’t get the memo. :joy:

5 Likes

Spoke into existence!

7 Likes

Aha! Love to see noses beginning to poke out!

2 Likes

6 Likes

Awww, look at all the cute little snoots!! So glad they’re finally pulling after taking their sweet time. I hope you get lots of pretty, healthy babies!

2 Likes

First one fully out!

4 Likes

Hey, congratulations!! It’s a great feeling, totally worth the waiting. Right?

2 Likes

Congrats. I’ve had a weird season myself w later than expected pipping & litters. Average 63 days on BPs this year, usually 57/58 and boa litters not here yet either, been saying any day now for a week. Always exciting to get that 1st snoot no matter how long you’ve been doing it.

5 Likes

Oh yeah! 7 out of 18 are Palmetto. Pretty good odds.

3 Likes

I totally agree! And it’s always exciting to see that first little snoot in every clutch!

1 Like

Nice!! Any healthy baby is a win, but it is extra exciting to get just what you were hoping for. Congrats again!

1 Like