Desk Animals

Thank you for the suggestion. I have not done too much research on eurydactylodes so I did not know much about their care but I do like the look of them. I’ll certainly give them a consideration and do a bit more studying up on them!

They are very easy to care for and one of the only small geckos that don’t mind being held.

3 Likes

Anoles need more space than you think, and I wouldn’t recommend a 10gal for them. Here is a video on them.

1 Like

Interesting! I wouldn’t have thought that they needed much space tbh. I would have thought brown or green anoles would need a smaller space than something like a Cuban night anole.

I second the Eury suggestion. Their enclosure requirements are straightforward and they don’t stress out easily. We have a few that come greet us when we open their viv doors :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you are open to inverts and okay with something smaller than a 10 gal, jumping spiders are a lot of fun and interactive.

3 Likes

I have actually been considering jumping spiders ever since I saw some at a recent expo. They had an intriguing setup similar to a monkey at the zoo with various “climbing ropes” and what not. I have been researching them much more extensively ever since seeing them there! Thank you

Depending what you consider interesting you could get a leech. They only need to live in a peanut butter jar and replace their water every few months. They can live years without food but you could drop a feeder fish in the enclosure every once in a while. I have a leech on my desk and it can be fun to watch swim around.

1 Like

An odd one but interesting nonetheless. I cannot say I’ve even looked into them. How did you go about acquiring your leech?

Funny story: My mom works as a pharmacist at a hospital and they have leeches there for treatments and a few of them escaped. 2 of them dried out and the third one my mom’s co-workers put in a small container since my mom didn’t want to and she wanted to bring it to me since otherwise it would just need to be killed since it couldn’t be used.
When she brought it home I did a bit of research and found the best container (which was an empty peanut butter jar), drilled some small holes in the lid and filled it with some pond water and some filtered water and put the leech in there. I’d say the leech (which I named Lurch) is about 1/4" wide and about 3-7" inches long depending if he’s stretched out or not. Here’s a picture of Lurch that I had submitted to the I/AoTM Trial Run.
IMG_3641

4 Likes

Who knew you could get a “rescue” leech, that’s awesome! And a bit bigger than I was expecting.

They’re actually quite small, like a very wide worm. Probably comparable to the size of a millipede. The benefit to these is that they don’t require any maintenance. As long as they have water and don’t get super cold or super hot and they aren’t left for too many years without food they’ll be fine. They’re like the swimming cockroach.

3 Likes