Did I ruin my first clutch?

I’ve done fine with super glue and nail polish but using a piece of an old egg shell I feel like is the superior solution. Simple is always best.

2 Likes

Hey, any updates on how these eggs are doing. Hope they’re doing great.

1 Like

I just wanted to give everyone that has responded to this thread an update. The eggs are currently at day 56 and a few have started to dimple so I’m hoping that I will see pipping soon. This is my first ever clutch that I produced so it has been a learning experience for sure. Once some of the eggs have pipped, is it safe to go ahead and cut the rest or should I let them all pip on their own?

1 Like

Once two have pipped, then you can go ahead and cut if you wish to. The reason for waiting until two have done so is that one could be pipping early, but two means the clutch is there. Just know that cutting wont make them leave the egg any earlier. You’ll just have a peak at the results sooner. Good luck and looking forward to pictures.

2 Likes

So since you guys have been such a wealth of knowledge and been so helpful cannot help but to go back to the well again LOL the same clutch I have been talkin about in this thread is now it day 63. Four of the eggs have dimpled in pretty severely but none of them have pipped. Would it be okay to go ahead and cut them now or should I still continue to wait until some hip. My temperatures have stayed right at 89 degrees and the humidity has stayed between 90 and 100 and I’m able to look in and see if the eggs have pipped without opening the incubator or molesting the eggs. I would love any advice you guys have on what I should do moving forward. I wish I could include pictures in this thread but I’m at work however I will try to enclose some pictures of the eggs when I get home and check on them.

Don’t ever cut before you’ve got a pip, is my suggestion. Eggs develop differently and don’t follow timelines perfectly. You have no idea if they’re ready yet and cutting can cause more harm than good.

6 Likes

I’d recommend giving it another day or 2, 63 days is still not a concern. Although I am a bit surprised they haven’t if you’re temps were truly 89/90 consistently, but I do know from reading your earlier posts that there was quite a bit of “fiddling” w them early on. I just cut a clutch that was on day 63 today as well. 1 finally pipped today, but they were incubated around 86° mostly so the extra days didn’t surprise me. I usually wait for 2 to pip before cutting the rest but given the couple extra days and the looks of a major boob egg I decided to cut the rest.

Results below… the boob is super small but all are alive. The boob was the only normal(hets). And of course like always happens, put a backup male(banana clown) in once because didn’t see visual locks from main male(clown pos albino) and of course that’s who sires. Now have to wait another season to prove out possible hets w main male & female(het clown pos het albino). Oh well that’s the game. We can’t all be JKR.
Good luck

4 Likes

I’m going to wait another day or two but I wanted to post a picture of what the eggs look like right now.

2 Likes

Honestly those do not look very dimpled IMO. Typically most of my eggs are very noticeably dented/dimpled almost like the only thing left in there is the baby, like but even more so than the bottom left egg in your pic. I would definitely recommend waiting for at least 1 to pip on it’s own before I cut any of them.

7 Likes

Patients is key! Because all incubators hold the temps differently just because its day 63 doesn’t mean they are ready. Wait until pips if you want to cut or just let them hatch on their own. They will make their way out when they are ready.

5 Likes

When I candled mine recently I felt the same way as you. Not to worry I just had my first one pip this week. I had the same results and worries as you thinking that there was just a dark spot on the bottom and the top was glowing with veins, looking kinda empty, but it just appears that way when you candle them. When one popped out I realized there’s a lot more snake in there than it seems👍

2 Likes

I wanted to reach out and thank everyone again for all the help with my first clutch. I was so nervous but I’m happy to announce that I finally cut the eggs on day 66 even though still none of them had pipped. All 7 came out perfectly healthy, including the two eggs that had huge windows and the one that had a window and some mild molding. I actually cut one egg too much and the hatchling and egg sac dumped right out of the egg into the incubation box. Fortunately I was able to get the snake and the remaining egg sack and umbilical into a deli cup without damaging anything and over the next few days it absorbed the rest of the egg sack and had no issues with its first shed. These seven snakes were produced from a visual female albino and visual male albino that I purchased from a breeder about a year and a half ago but they had never been bred and he was not 100% sure there was not something hidden in the female. I am extremely new to identifying genetics and I’m still learning and I would appreciate anyone’s opinion on the last 2 pictures I’m going to post. It is one of the females and it has a lot of weird shaped alien heads and a lot of white spotting and what appears to be some blushing coming up the

sides. I know she is young so I’m completely at a loss and too inexperienced to identify if there is something else going on with her. I would love to know the community’s opinion and I just really wanted to update everyone and let them know that everything came out amazing. Thank you for all the well-wishes and prayers!

3 Likes