Do eggs really need air?

Hey guys, I currently have around 50 corn snake eggs in the incubator ( big increase from my 3 last year :sweat_smile:). Anyways, I have been opening the incubator and giving each egg container fresh air weekly and Im wondering if this is really necessary and if I so, should I do it more often as they are getting closer to hatching?
Thank you as always to anybody who helps out😊

3 Likes

Most ball python breeders cover our egg boxes with press n seal to stop air from going into the tubs, at least until about 10 days pre hatch.

3 Likes

I always use boxes with plenty of air space around the sphagnum moss where my corn snake eggs sit. Eggs are lightly covered with moss, as well. I’m like you, I open the containers at least weekly to check humidity and get some air exchange. Developing babies obviously need oxygen, but I am pretty sure those needs are considerably less than what’s available in a typical incubation container.

The containers I use aren’t air tight, but during the last couple of weeks before hatching is due I swap the lids for some with air holes. That’s partly for the eggs, partly for hatchlings as they emerge, and partly to settle my paranoia about O2 deprivation. I’ve not found any good studies on the topic. If I’m gonna err, I prefer to do it on the side of caution.

2 Likes

Is this to keep humidity up? It’s so interesting to learn about different species’ requirements.

1 Like

Yep keeps humidity optimal, but it also presents a barrier for phorid flies which I have had issues with over the years.

2 Likes

Oh gosh, I really hate those phorid flies! I’ve had them on occasion, too. I have always wondered how they find their way into egg containers deep inside my house. Yuck!

1 Like