Do the bellies of young milk snakes "blue" before shed?

Hi all,

I’ve a baby pueblan milk snake. I’ve had her since about October 4th, and haven’t seen a shed yet (although she came to me with a stuck eye cap, which came off with a humid hide.)

I’ve noticed today her belly has become noticeably bluer/milky. It’s like the photos I see of snakes with eyes that color, but it’s on her stomach. Currently her eyes seem clear, but she’s so small that if they were blue I might not be able to tell. However, her belly is very blue.

Is that a “sign” of impending shed? I saw some threads about ball pythons and “pink” bellies, but she’s not a ball, so I’m wondering if “blue” bellies is a thing for milk snakes.

Thanks for any insight!

3 Likes

I have an Arizona Mountain kingsnake, and he turns blueish when he is going into shed. It is a sign of shedding for your snake as well.

4 Likes

Yep. My MBK is blue as we speak!

3 Likes

My albino striped black rat snake also turned blueish with the one shed she has had with me. I think it might just be a thing with colubrids in general?

3 Likes

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the reassurance.

1 Like

To update my old post, now that I’ve had a few sheds under my belt–yes, absolutely, a “blue” belly is the first sign I get before she goes into shed!

A few days after I notice a “blue” belly, her eyes cloud over, and the rest of her coloring dulls. Then she brightens up a bit. Then she actually sheds.

1 Like