Do you think this enclosure looks big enough?

Hello… Just put these guys in new homes. Any thoughts?

Also built an enclosure. Red light too much for balls? Should I stick with CHE’s?

1 Like

The size seems okay, but I would change the substrate to forest floor or coco chips. It helps keep in more humidity. As for the lights, I’ve heard they stress them out, but I’m not sure if that’s true. I always use Ceramic Heat Emitters, same warmth just no light emitted.

2 Likes

I would replace one light with a basking spot light, and keep the red one on the other side, but it only needs to be on at night. I’ve never had a problem doing this with my own snakes, the red doesn’t seem to affect them in any way, it just allows a little more warmth during the night. I don’t know how thick the bottom of your enclosure is but if you can use an under tank heater or heat tape that would be a good option as well. It appears to be big enough, for now at least, but I don’t know what your dimensions are, but you built a pretty good snake cage looks good. I would just make sure there is no way that he could possibly get against one of those lights and burn himself.

This is for ball pythons. They are not a basking species. Under tank heating is the way to go.

“I have not had a problem doing this,” Doesn’t make something right.

3 Likes

@masterofpythons but to answer your original question that looks like a nice size tub for now. You’ll have to keep an eye on your humidity to see if any tweaks with substrate etc are needed but that looks good. Should last them a few months at least hopefully!

1 Like

Doesnt makensomething wrong either. :slight_smile:

True. But we know a lot about the species from scientific research and many years of people keeping them, and it tells us there is a better way to do it.

Not saying you’ll kill one by having a basking light instead of UTH but it goes against the nature of the species.

Looks good from what I can see. Though it depends on the individual snake. I have a ball python that likes to explore a lot between 6 and 8 every night. So I moved him into a larger enclosure than I would normally suggest. He seems happy in there. Plenty of space to roam during his evening activity and he eats every time. He’s never missed a meal (touch wood).

I too would swap out the substrate. Although my snakes love aspen and lignocel, my ball pythons leave less mess with wood chips.

1 Like