Easy, fool proof egg setup

Thanks for making this post I’ll refer to it in the future!

2 Likes

I open the lid wipe it down and close it, that is all that is necessary.

2 Likes

You open your egg box for a quick air exchange and you also wipe off condensation at the top.

As for you next question if their are eggs on the top of each other I do separate them a day before they are due to hatch, at that time they are easy to separate other than that I leave them alone

2 Likes

Would this work for colubrids? It seems like it would. And if I were to only have one or two clutches could I add both clutches together (obviously I realize the mixup in knowing who is who) saftely for the sake of space? And could a heat mat be used on an individual tub or some kind of low watt lamp shining on the tub from a safe distance (both with thermostat of course)?

When I do my first breeding in a couple years I won’t need something so big and complex as the awesome setup you’ve got going on.

1 Like

It does just need to adjust the temperatures, and container size I have use this method with Honduran Milksnakes in the past and uses it with my hognose which for those I use tiny tubs and trays which keep the eggs from rolling out (can also be used for Leopard Geckos and Crested)

Hognose

5 Likes

how do you turn a large cooler into an incubator? I am wanting to start small and I would love to know how you did it with a cooler

2 Likes

I’m curious about how that’s done also.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Breeding how to

i did this exact same method for two of my egg boxes this past 2 clutches. measured out the perlite and water just as described. however around 40_45 days I notice the lid gets some condensation and water droplets start to form, some drip down but it’s not constant water drops but still a few, enough to catch my attention… Any recommendations or reasons this could happen and how to prevent it from building up on the lid? thank you in advance!

1 Like

Your main concern is the water landing on the eggs. Condensation forms when there is a difference in temperature between the sides of the container. Put the thermostat probe in the egg box to keep temperatures consistent (if you aren’t already) in the egg box. You can tape paper towels on the lid but I would recommend putting the container at an angle (usually by putting something small under one side) so the water falls by the edge rather than on the eggs.

6 Likes

This thread always deserves to be bumped

6 Likes

Hello, I just got my first incubator setup and I’m trying a dummy egg box just to see where things are at before eggs actually come (snakes are currently breeding). I used perlite and water in your fool proof description. I used an easy hatch egg tray since that’s what I’ve decided to use instead of the light disperser. I got my incubator probe in the dummy box on the egg tray w thermostat set at 88 degrees. My question is….for the thermometers on top and on bottom do I want to put those inside egg boxes with eggs or just on the shelf outside of the egg boxes? I am a little confused on that part because of the thermostat probe is inside the dummy egg box then isn’t that going to be a different temp than the thermometers on top and bottom of incubator if they’re on the outside of egg boxes? Just needing some clarification on that aspect. Sorry if my questions seem dumb. I’m new to breeding snakes. I’ve had snakes and reptiles for the last 6ish years but this is my first time breeding them. Oh my new incubator is from C Serpents. Think they called it a hotbox? It’s like the middle sized one they offer. It has 4 shelves in it and a fan with some lights.
Thanks!

1 Like

You can honestly take the egg box out and wipe down the top of the lid and put it back in the incubator. That 3 minute window of wiping down the lid won’t harm your eggs.

Why are you temping at 88 degrees? Are you pairing a known kink project like super cinnamon?

I have my Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer sitting on the second shelf in my cserpents incubator and haven’t really had an issue with it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

is there any specific reason you don’t use press n’ seal? i do the exact same as you described this year as my first year breeding, but used press and seal. Just asking to try to learn!

3 Likes

I don’t think Deborah posts here anymore so you’re unlikely to get a response from her.

I found press n seal to be useful for my situation. I utilize a sensorpush sensor to monitor temperatures and humidity inside the egg box for the duration of incubation. I found that despite getting consistent 100% humidity readings the eggs were prematurely dried out due to the air flow in my incubator. Everything made it just fine but on my second clutch I decided to try press n’ seal and it improved things significantly. The eggs were more pliable and didn’t dry/harden up towards the end like the first clutch.

I know some high volume breeders (Kobylka for example) use press n’ seal and dont worry about opening the tub to provide oxygen during the final stages.

I’m personally going to use it with every clutch going forward.

2 Likes

I’ve had terrible luck with press and seal. I use this exact tub setup and have had excellent results.

2 Likes

What is it that the press and seal does that causes you issues?

my incubator has a fairly strong fan in it, so i’d be worried about the eggs drying out if i were to not use press and seal.

1 Like

No idea lol I’m a numbers guy. Using this setup I have a much higher hatch rate.

2 Likes

I just didn’t know if there was any visible issues, like too much moisture or not enough oxygen etc.

If it works better without then I don’t blame you, I wouldn’t use it either. I may try a clutch without it this year; just need to keep track of my humidity in that tub

1 Like

To me you have to much condensation and moisture with press and seal. This is my personal experiences plenty of people do well with it. But me personally I follow this guide to a t!

I don’t check anything at all until day 50 I toss it in the incubator and try to forget about it and trust in the process!

2 Likes