Egg eating snake tips

So I second @caryl’s sentiment about what a heartache you are going through wanting a certain type of animal so badly. I don’t know why you would want one so badly but hey to each his own!

It’s definitely worth the time to check out what this seller has and what kind of shape these animals are in. @caryl knows her stuff and has given you some great advice.

I for one would like to know if and when you find one so don’t hesitate to keep the updates coming….

2 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely let you know

2 Likes

When in the search thing go to the search settings and put it onto all regions. That allows you to see the animals listed from all over!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I’m also going to add, I asked again and the first breeder said she isn’t sure when the females will be available as it can take several months to recover, so I will try to wait until then if possible, especially if I decide not to get this wild caught snake. The second breeder just said they will let me know if they have any available.

Also, I don’t see any new snakes when I switch to “all regions”, so either there aren’t any or I did something wrong, but it’s probably the latter.

1 Like

So I am just curious. Do you want this particular type of snake to keep as a pet or for breeding purposes?

Since there seems to be so few CBB available, breeding them could be a lucrative business……

2 Likes

I will refer you to my post here as to why that is highly unlikely:

3 Likes

and @honeyandbee Yep I saw this post after I posted so I gracefully retract it.

Some animals should be left alone and this is one of them imho!

Thank you Travis! I hope things are well with you and your wife…… :pray:

3 Likes

Well enough. I am pretty much back to normal post-surgery. We are still in limbo with my wife, waiting for her to drop below that “magic number” the doctors have imposed on us… :confounded:

3 Likes

Definitely will start out as just a pet, but maybe as I get more used to them, get more space, and if I can find a reliable source of smaller eggs I could start breeding. I’m sure it could make good business, I just need to be more prepared. I am interested and it sounds fun, but I think finding the eggs for the babies would be the main issue.

Although yes, there are many other issues aside from even starting. Finding homes that will be able to feed them would be difficult as well.

2 Likes

I am glad you have healed well but I feel badly for your wife. I am not going to criticize the process because I don’t know anything about it but that being said, it seems to me that since you have done your part, your wife should be moved several notches up the ladder.

I am putting you in my prayers tonight. :pray:

3 Likes

After rereading @t_h_wyman Travis’s posts I am hoping you will heed his instructions because I don’t believe you are going to find any better advice regarding this particular type of animal.

However I changed my mind on my breeding suggestion because of the very delicate feeding regimen and the constant quest for appropriate eggs. And as you eluded to, if you were successful with a breeding project, would the people buying the babies be responsible keepers by keeping them healthy or even alive.

I know I would worry and I think you would too. You are seeing the ethical aspect of breeding these delicate creatures and then sending them out in the world, which is wonderful because a lot of people would not.

But kudos to you for doing so much research before buying. And you take advice really well. I for one have enjoyed these threads/discussions. I know a lot more about egg eating snakes thanks to you!

So no more rambling. I wish you the very best in which ever direction you take. No doubt if you keep an egg eating snake as a pet first you will get first hand experience that will either make or break a breeding project, unless you keep all the babies.

4 Likes

Thank you for your help! I agree, they have been very helpful, and so have you!

Thank you so much for your help and comments, I do enjoy these discussions as well.

It I ever do end up breeding these snakes, I will definitely make sure to have a reliable source of eggs, and have to ask any customers questions to make sure they are able to care for the snake. But it will likely be a while until then.

Again, thank you!

3 Likes

Wishing you the best of luck, @honeyandbee. It’s clear that you do care and want to have the very best information you can get prior to getting an animal. That’s a beautiful thing. You can’t get more rock solid information that from @t_h_wyman.

3 Likes

Glad that you’re doing well enough. I hope and pray that your wife hits that “magic number” very soon.

5 Likes

Feel free to criticize, Cthulhu knows I do LOL

She is up higher on the ladder - has top priority for a high/perfect match kidney when the time comes - but TPTB feel it is best for all involved to have all kidney failure patients eek out every bit of use out of their old kidneys before putting in the new one

4 Likes

Hmmmmm. Well in a way the wearing out process may make sense in the medical field but if I were the one waiting for a kidney, especially since my husband had already given his kidney away (non refundable btw) I would be p****d thank you very much! :triumph:

3 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

I wish luck to you and your wife!

2 Likes

Ta! Much appreciated

3 Likes

I would definitely be cautious about taking in a wild-caught import, just because they’re so much more prone to issues than captive-bred individuals. You just never know what health issues you might be taking on. And on top of that, if the animal is an adult (which is what you’re looking to get), you’ll have no real way to know how old they are and how much longer they’ll live, even if you get lucky and end up with a healthy animal.

If I were you, I’d probably wait until a captive bred female became available, even if that means having to wait. And I understand that waiting sucks when you’re really wanting an animal, but I think that waiting for the right CBB animal might ultimately leave you with a better outcome in the long run. As someone else mentioned, it might also be worth looking into importing a CBB female from somewhere like Canada or Europe. It will cost more than buying a WC individual domestically, but you’ll be more likely to end up with a healthy animal with a known history.

Just curious…what is it that draws you to egg eating snakes? Don’t get me wrong, they’re super cool snakes and there’s a lot to love about them, but it seems like a big draw for them to most people is just the fact that they don’t eat rodents. If that’s the main reason you want one, there are several other snake species that don’t eat rodents, and some of them are much easier to find and care for than egg eaters. If you truly love the Dasypeltis genus and have your heart set on one of those snakes because that’s what you love, then by all means, continue to pursue it. I don’t want to talk anyone out of their pursuit of keeping species they really love.

But if it’s just a function of wanting a snake and not wanting to feed rodents, there are some other options. Garter snakes would probably be the most obvious and readily-available option (and there are several different species of garters, and some species even have some morphs, so there’s lots of choices when it comes to garters). DeKay’s brown snakes are another possibility. Not quite as easy to find CBB as garters, but there are some people who breed them. And both garters and DeKay’s are going to be easier to care for and have diets that are much easier to source than egg eaters. Rough and smooth green snakes primarily eat insects…though as I understand it, you’re likely to struggle to find them CBB, much like egg eaters.

Whatever route you decide to go, I wish you luck. Hopefully you’ll eventually find the perfect snake for you, whatever that ends up being.

4 Likes