Egg question

Hi, I have done a lot of research on breeding and incubating hognose eggs, but I haven’t found any information on if you have to have ventilation on the containers. So do you need to put ventilation holes in the containers that you are incubating your eggs in?

3 Likes

I only just had my first clutch last year but hopefully I can help until someone more knowledgeable comes along. I found that any holes at all was letting out too much humidity. Granted the lid on my egg boxes were not air tight so I’m sure that played a role as well. Towards the end of incubation I was fighting too much humidity, but for me it was easier to deal with that than not enough. I had to experiment with it for about 3-4 weeks pre-egg laying to find the sweet spot. I would highly recommend you do the same so that you can find any holes (pun intended :laughing:) in your setup and tweak it before eggs arrive.
Are you expecting eggs this year?

3 Likes

I’ve only done corn eggs, but holes in the egg box let too much humidity escape. Once a week, I’ll open the box to allow fresh air in and add more moisture if necessary.

3 Likes

The style incubator I use I put ventilation holes in it, because I use a cooler with aquarium heaters on a thermostat heating the water in the bottom of the cooler to maintain temp, so humidity is never an issue. So far with this method I have never lost a good egg.

2 Likes