Encouraging more Photography competition entries

With love and a touch of your spirit, that’s an artist. take the complement graciously. My first profession was a professional photographer. Take at least that one opinion,

Yes lets think about the possibilities

Do you think that is necessary for the “skilled” to be moved into their own separate category? Saying that other people are not skilled. This is a line that separates rather than a rope that ties

4 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: thankyou <3 that’s helped me feel less awkward than I already do now <3

1 Like

It may sound cliché, but it’s true

1 Like

I would be okay with having like an advanced category and a novice category. Like maybe if you’ve won a total of three times, you get moved to the advanced category? I love to see all the photos that get posted and I don’t believe that the highly skilled photographers are elitists in any way and I don’t think they should be ‘punished’ just because they have better skills and/or equipment.

Edited to add that I also don’t want others to stop entering the contests because they are discouraged since they have no chance of winning. I think this could be a good option that would benefit both the advanced and the amateur photographers.

5 Likes

I mean, I don’t consider myself a “skilled” photographer. I just take photos with my phone while I’m doing maintenance, and so each month I pick out a photo I think looks nice from my phone gallery and I post it for the contests.

“Skilled” to me is individuals who take the time to learn their equipment and have the knowledge on what makes a good photo when it comes to lighting and whatnot. Especially those who are actually professional photographers. Like any artistic skill, there’s clearly some who are beginners and some that are more advanced, and many more that are in-between.

Would also like to add, I don’t think we need separate categories. I’m not sure there would be a way to sort this so we’re not putting the more skilled people into a position where they feel excluded.

3 Likes

Most of this discussion also assumes that people are only voting for the most technically beautiful photos every month which I can assure everyone isn’t true. I vote for silly and cute photos all the time, sometimes I vote for the animal itself for simply being unique.

9 Likes

That is true! I don’t always vote for photos based on their “professionalism” either

3 Likes

Not to mention that one of my photos won the bpotm contest a couple months back, which actually meant a lot to me

2 Likes

No, its not a skilled thing. just saying previous winners can not enter the next month would be a start. But do you have any ideas?

No one should have to feel awkward here. No one here knows everything

There are many ways to chalane yourself, no one way is best.

No one should be punished. just suggesting something like a handicap in Golf.
You win one month you dont enter the next to give others a chance.

@trnreptiles Agree as with others

@stackedbp Yes variety is the spice of life. lets promote variate

2 Likes

I want to say that I just don’t like when people get hate or are “put into a different area” because this separates and people get hurt especially those with lack of confidence. And usually no one is going to say sorry those people because most of our conversations are over the internet, and sadly unsolved hurt and offense causes people to leave. How is this actually causing more people to participate?You actually consider the loss of other contributors too.

5 Likes

The quote is not about challenging yourself it is about how to grow. Why do teachers teach us? Not because they’re always the best but because that is how we learn, we learn from others.

I for one am in no way skilled in terms of the technology and lighting etc etc. I go with what I T HINK looks good to me. It’s a bonus if anyone else likes it but It’s mostly to calm the anxiety. Not being a spoil sport but this thread has given my some anxiety. I know it wasn’t the intention at all…Like I say I am not as confident as people think I am. I was just going to leave it but I thought people may get the wrong idea of me. I am feeling rather awkward and embarrassed at the whole thing.

4 Likes

Lumpy? How have i promored hate? if you believe that then flag that post. if true I deserve to pay the price. I am just trying to encourage the less confident to express their views. And promote art development

This is a kind of democracy, I am happy to leave it to loved posts for those who want to lodge their opinions – that way and debate should prevail /
I am also happy to leave it to the forum to comments and for people to express their opinions that way.
I dont suggest that i am right, just opening the discussion so we can all consider each others opinions. There seem to be many different opinions already

1 Like

Win or lose my snakes are the best so IDC lol

4 Likes

This has all got a bit too serious for me now :confused: The funs gone outta it for me and that was the whole point.

2 Likes

I am not saying that your suggestion promotes hate. It suggests separation of people. It can be very damaging to be separated, especially because this community is based off of unification of a variety of people, and their opinions. That is all.
This is a place to love, learn, and grow together because there are not many places in this world to do so.

I don’t want to make anyone mad, but I don’t think that it needs to go to the extent where people need to leave our community.

Agreed totally, that’s why I love it here and would not be any where else.

But a suggestion does necessarily challenge or contradict that philosophy
Even if a suggestion is not considered an improvement solution to that gole, it should at least make us discuss and consider how we can do things better.
There is always room for improvement.
Please consider that other members have expressed a feeling about this too. All our feelings matter.

Edit, and who would leave the community over a suggestion?

1 Like

Yes everyone matters that is why I’m saying we need to work through this carefully, because it’s a very important and sensitive matter.

1 Like

Totally agree with that.
3 am in the morning here, so I will have to leave the discussion to others for now,
Take care Lumpy, if we agree or not. you obviously care.

1 Like