Eramosa - New Dominant Gene [DONE]

Gene Request Form

Please fill the below form out to the best of your ability. Answers do not need to be lengthy. If appropriate you may forward this request to someone who is more able to supply the answers.

Facts

Species: Ball Python
Name of Gene: Eramosa
First produced by whom: Corey Woods
Year First Produced: 2008
Genetics Type (Incdom/Codom/Recessive/Polygenic/etc): Dominant
In complex with other genes?: Not Known
Other names/aliases for it?: No
Description:

The Eramosa gene has been in development here since I originally produced the gene back in 2008. 3 years in a row I bred a Genetic Stripe male to a Het Red Axanthic female (2006, 2007 & 200*. On the 3rd year, 2008, from that same breeding, a light coloured animal popped out. Since I didn’t know what it was I named it “Mutation X”. I have slowly been working with, and developing the gene since that time. As of 2022 I have not sold any of the babies produced from this Line so no one else has this gene.

Here is what I know. The Eramosa gene is Dominant with no Super. It works as an “Enhancer” gene in both colour and pattern. It is lighter like the recessive Desert Ghost/Enhancer and has a wacky pattern that reminds me of the Rio. In combos it also “Enhances” the pattern as well. So far Pastel, Mahogany, and Chocolate seems to bring out the most extreme pattern mutations. However, I only work with a select group of gene so not all combos are known at this time.

The Eramosa gene grows fast, big and the females like to produce lots of eggs. The babies are aggressive and love to eat rats. They are also a little high strung and if I’m going to get bit by anything in the collection it is the Eramosa gene that’ll do it. They can be pissy like baby blood pythons but that means they eat.

Appearance; What it does/looks like? Lighty coloured like a Desert Ghost/Enhancer but a Dominant gene. Pattern is mutated in the base form but combos seem to bring out some extreme patterns as well.

• Head: Ball Python Head
  • Body: Ball Python Body
  • Belly: Ball Python Belly
  • Tail: Ball python Tail.

Proven Lines: None
Related Genes: None

Proven: Dominant Gene
Unique: No other gene appears to do the same thing this gene does. Also produced here from unrelated animals so it is it’s own gene not related to anything else. Unique mutation out of my collection.

Problems: None determined at this time.

History:

Random domination mutation that took place here back in 2008. Original breeding was Genetic Stripe male to Het Red Axanthic female. Out popped this random gene that I called “Mutation X”.

Any of the current Dominant/Co-Dominant genes would have had to be created through random, spontaneous mutation. So, the very first Pastel, Spider, Lesser, Het Red Axanthic…etc would have come from a normal x normal breeding in the wild. This is what happened in my collection under captive bred conditions.

I’m not very creative with names so I’ve called this gene “Mutation X” since I produced the first male back in 2008. Everyone seems to have a gene in their collection marked with an “X” so I knew long ago the name needed to be changed.

Eramosa is a river that runs through Southern Ontario including down the street from where I live. It also makes out part of the name of the township we live in (Guelph/Eramosa Township). So I have decided to name this gene “Eramosa”.

Since this gene was produced here, and no one else has it, it is close to my heart. So, I’ve maybe taken a bit too long to introduce it to society. However, I wanted to figure out a few things before releasing it;

1. What do some of the combo look like
  2. Verify females produce eggs

Any combos that were not used were culled from the collection.

Disagreement or Controversy: None
References here on the community: None

• At least one link to community discussion (ie forums) to demonstrate community acceptance

Ok I’m going to sound like a huge ****. But, I don’t think this applies. The community can accept or reject the gene but I’m still working with it.

• Link to WOBP if one exists. None

• Links to the wider web. None

Please attach at least 3 photos you have rights to which you are granting to be used on MorphMarket .

I hope you don’t mind but I’m going to over load you with pictures;

The original Eramosa (Mutation X) clutch from 2008

Clutch mates - Normal (Left), Eramosa (Right)

The Original Eramosa Het Genetic Stripe male at a year old.

Eramosa Het Orange Ghost (Left) & Normal Het Pied (Right)

Eramosa Het Orange Ghost

Here are some combo pictures;

Eramosa Pastel

Genetic Stripe (Left) & Eramosa Genetic Stripe (Right)

Eramosa YB

Eramosa Pastel

Eramosa Pastel Spark

Eramosa Orange Ghost Bongo

Eramosa Pastel Orange Ghost Cypress

Eramosa Cypress

Eramosa Phantom Bongo

Eramosa Pastel Mahogany

Eramosa Mahogany Chocolate

Eramosa Pastel Super Chocolate

Eramosa Pastel Lesser Super Chocolate

Eramosa Pastel Pied

Eramosa Pastel Puzzle

And, just so there is no rumours about females laying eggs. Here are a bunch of female Eramosa`s on eggs. Again, sorry for the photo blast.

Eramosa Het Pied

Eramosa

Eramosa Orange Ghost x 2

Eramosa Pastel Orange Ghost x 3 clutches

Eramosa Pastel

Eramosa Pastel YB x 2

Eramosa Pastel HRA

Eramosa Red Axanthic

Eramosa Pastel Red Axanthic

Eramosa Genetic Stripe HRA

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Corey Woods

16 Likes

That’s awesome looking! Have you found it to be allelic with any known morphs?

6 Likes

That’s definitely interesting. How sure are you that it doesn’t have a super form? And have you bred it to anything in the Fire complex?

6 Likes

It is not allelic with anything in my collection.

5 Likes

Sorry I don`t have any fire in my collection. There is no super form. I have done multiple Eramosa x Eramosa breedings. I have also taken the offspring from those breedings and determined, from breeding, that there are no Eramosa offspring that produce all Eramosas. So, there is definately no super.

4 Likes

This seems very interesting. I like the look of the gene.

How many offspring have you tried this with? Because with any genetic mutation, there is always a heterozygous and homozygous form. Even if the super looks the same as the het, the super would have to exist and produce all heterozygous offspring. For example, pinstripe is dominant, but a super pinstripe exists, even though it looks the same as a normal pinstripe.

6 Likes

There is no super form.

3 Likes

There might not be a visually distinguishable super form but it would have to exist (under normal circumstances, for example when it’s not lethal like spider). A super eramosa will look the same as an eramosa, but it would produce all eramosa offspring. How many eramosas have you bred to non-eramosas to test this? If it’s a small sample size, probability might have just prevented one of them proving out as supers.

4 Likes

There is no Super.

Id also like to mention there is no Super Pinstripe. I have done so many pinstripe x pinstripe breedings and Ive held back a bunch of the Pinstripe babies and I`ve never once had a Pinstripe produce all Pinstripes.

So, anyone saying that Pinstripe has a super doesnt know what they are talking about. No one is using first hand knowledge. It is all hearsay and never from first hand accounts. Cousins, boyfriends, sisters, work friends, brothers, uncles, boses friend doesnt count. As far as I`m away there is no first hand accounts of super pinstripes.

I dont know exact numbers. Ive probably done 50 Eramosa x Eramosa clutches. Ive also done probably the same in Pinstripe. Ive never produced supers of either Eramosa or Pinstripe with those numbers.

1 Like

There actually is a post on here somewhere about someone who has a supposed super pinstripe female that has consistantly produced 100% pinstripe offspring over multiple years of breeding. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: I think it was @jasonbailey

4 Likes

After looking through the profile you mentioned here is the post where it is first mentioned. It is elaborated on a few posts after this one.

Just based on how genetics work a homozygous form is always possible (excluding unusual cases like a lethal super) and it will always pass on one copy of a gene. Debating if supers are possible in simple dominant traits isn’t the purpose of this thread so I’m not going to elaborate further. But, if you want to discuss this further feel free to create a new topic about it.

4 Likes

Call it super or not. But my pinstripe girl has had 37 eggs in the last 3 years and all have been pinstripe. She has never had a baby that is anything else.

4 Likes

Both bhb and Evan stahl have first hand accounts of super pin males, Jason has a first hand account of super pin female. Doing 50 pin x pin pairings isn’t what proves anything. It’s the breeding records of the offspring of those pairings. Each offspring is a 33% possible super pin.

9 Likes

Wow what a awesome morph! I can see a little bit why @mcpythons was asking about the fire complex, the regular eramosa on eggs looks a little like a disco yellow belly with the crazy side pattern and the 2nd og head does almost look so erased like a vanilla, but of course the body is completely off for that! You have done so many breedings and proved this new eramosa gene out better then anyone I know that has brought or tried to prove new morphs out. No doubt everything you stated is true for it. I noticed like you stated it really does change up the body pattern, but man it throws crazy head patterns as well especially with those het red and pastel red ax! All of them really! Just crazy looking! 2 questions: Does the belly just look super bright and clear or is there any difference/markers with them? Are you making some available this season? Congratulations on this crazy nice proven out morph!!

3 Likes

Very pretty, I’m interested to see it with other things like Enchi and OD or some recessives. Congratz! Another gene to add to the list lol

1 Like

Theres a super pinstripe trick produced by rehker reptiles on here…

https://community.morphmarket.com/t/morphpedia-ball-pythons-eramosa/31883

Thank you EagleReptiles!

1 Like

I’m not the first person to say this and I’m not the last, but the gene has to have a homozygous form. Unless you’ve bred every single offspring from an eramosa x eramosa pairing and produced multiple clutches from every single one of them (I’m talking at minimum 2-3 clutches with at least 5-6 hatched eggs for every single animal) then there haven’t been enough breeding trials to determine for certain that there is no super. Not to mention, that just goes against how genetics work - an incomplete dominant/dominant gene always has a homozygous form unless, like erie mentioned, it’s lethal and the eggs simply go bad. If this gene still down the line another 20-30 clutches still has no homozygous animals, we’ll have to do some interesting genetic testing because there would be something very abnormal happening there.

That said - i’s a gorgeous gene, and I like it a lot. Excited to see more.

Also, am I reading your original post correctly that you culled any eramosa combo animal that wasn’t use for breeding…?

4 Likes