Favorite species

LOVE our MBK, Sasha!

2 Likes

This was my old MBK, she was named Novela.

4 Likes

Although I love python and boa species colubrids will always have a place in my collection whether it is for breeding or a pet just because they bring something different to the table in terms of personality, intelligence, and overall husbandry. I use to have two asian vine snakes and they weren’t breeders I just wanted some as pets and I would sit in front of the cage and just watch then cruise around for hours.

1 Like

Colubrids definitely are more “fun” to keep as pets I think. It’s hard not to love them.
Man that’s really cool, I’ve always wanted a Asain Vine snake, but they are hard to come by up here in MN. And I try to buy locally as often as possible.

1 Like

White lipped pythons

I know I’m late to the party on this one but here’s my thoughts. I’ve bred ball pythons and honestly still enjoy the hell out of that. But if I had to choose one pet snake it would be a WLP.
They’re challenging, smart, reactive and quick. They’re almost like a colubrid in a medium sized python body. They’re known for a ton of attitude but trust can be earned with the proper amount of respect. So all in all it’s fun and challenging snake to own.

6 Likes

Can’t say I’m not jealous with your choice. WLP are a dream snake of mine. As far as appearance, there are few that match their beauty. Definitely a damn good choice!

5 Likes

My favourites. Nothing special or hard to find.

Boa constrictors - I don’t think anyone quite understands how placid these guys are until they own one. As long as they are kept healthy and happy, all they want to do is chill.

Garters - just the simple fact that they prefer to be in a community and you can watch them interact with one another.

5 Likes

I have to disagree there Tom…Boas are crazy special :). Most know Retics are my favorite, but if they didn’t exist, Boas would be my numero uno. They are so docile and underrated! Definitely gems in the hobby.

Awesome point about garters too, as far as cohabitation species go, easily the most accepting of that keeping style.

4 Likes

Bismarck Ringed Pythons. When I was researching them, I saw so many horror stories where people were scared of them because of how cage/food aggressive they could be. But I was lucky to find a male hatching and a female yearling for a good price a few years ago. Never regretted it. They are in the same family as the White Lipped Pythons. Also just picked myself up a pair of Northerns. Gotta Catch Em all. :wink:

6 Likes

They are definitely a unique species that doesn’t get much attention. Hard to find too.
I always think it’s kinda silly when a certain species gets the bad rap for being food motivated lol. I always looked at it as a benefit instead of having to fight to get them to eat like some balls or arboreal species.
Those Australian species are some of the best from a certain part of the world I think. They have such a high concentration of crazy cool snakes that don’t need any extra morphs to be valued or appreciated.
I didn’t know you have Northerns too, you have some nice stuff Switch! Definitely keep us informed with those breeding projects.

3 Likes

I haven’t kept snakes, so I don’t have much to say in terms of care in captivity. However, I love:

• copperheads, for nostalgic reasons
  • ringnecks, because they are wonderful and adorable and so so cute!!
  • ball pythons, because I identify with being a coach potato that curls in a ball when scared, that also has bizarre eating habits
  • gaboon vipers, because they are gorgeous, lazy, and irritable when disturbed
  • blood pythons, because blood pythons!!! :heart_eyes:

In the past I’ve babysat a common boa (I think- hazy memory, but definitely a boa), and we got along famously. I have zero interest in keeping any hot herps myself, but I think a lot of them are beautiful. I also have a bit of a soft spot when it comes to puff adders and king cobras.

5 Likes

Definitely cool choices Marla.
I’m not a fan of hot snakes, besides the medical applications they can provide which are essential, I don’t agree or support them being kept.
But that aside, hot snakes are among the most gorgeous snakes out there I think. Just mind blowing color and contrast.

I think it’s about time for you to get a snake Marla, just saying :wink:.
If you ever did, I think a Rosy Boa would be a really good fit for your lifestyle. They are slow moving and usually docile little snakes.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Yeah, I have been working with mine so they aren’t very feisty. I literally just got the Northerns too, I’ll post pictures later!

1 Like

Do you recommend northerns or southerns?
Just something I have noticed is people tend to personally prefer one over the other. Do you find that there is a difference, in care or temperament?

4 Likes

They are the same, but southerns I have heard are more prone to being more laid back. But @unkn0vvn1221 would know better than me.

4 Likes

Haha! :blush: I actually had a sticky note with recommended snake species on the wall next to my desktop for weeks! I finally had to take it down when I knew I wouldn’t be able to afford vet bills (the irony!) for my elderly leos if I got a snake at the moment (I have a ton of leos over the age of 12 and maybe a half dozen over 16). I had always planned on becoming my pets’ vet myself- d’oh! Once things stabilize a bit, and I’ve accomplished the move that was originally planned for this year, I very much so hope to get a snake. I’ve wanted a snake since 1998- I play the long game. Heh.

4 Likes

California Kingsnake

2 Likes

I was looking around the forum, and this came up on the banner
wind up

What a wind up seeing that and being reminded of my answer to this thread.
My lifetime Favorite. But the impossible dream :cry:

3 Likes

One of my favorites are Rosy Boas - great personality and gorgeous in their simple patterning.

A close second would be the Epicrates ssp., specifically the Colombians - weird, I know, but I’ve never had an issues keeping them and just really like their demeanor.

***this is a paradigm Colombian Rainbow

2 Likes

I have a few favs in the reptile category as with any other category of living things. Zoologically I like pretty much anything but am only interested pet/compaion wise in certain groups and not others. For the most part reptile wise I’m not into Boas, Pythons or Geckos at all pet/companion wise. That said my dream herps so far pet/companion wise that arent venomous or only mildly venomous would see FWCs, Drymarchon snakes, Corn/milk/rats/etc type snakes and hognose for the serpents. For lizards most species of Uro (but not all), and some other agamids, and Iggys especially Green Iggys (although I’d be a lil afraid owning that one since it can mess me up pretty good if it wanted to top the list. For torts I’d go with the red footed and their close cuz (the yellow one–name escapes me atm) and for big torts the Sulcata would prob be my fav. I like the rainbow Boas but prob will not ever own one, pythons including ball pythons arent my thing and neither are geckos at all. Only gecko I would even consider is the geico gecko (I think they are some sorta day geck but dont remember the exact one). I like beardies but would prob not want one as a pet (just like uros way more) and Tegus and skinks are cute but again not exactly something I’d likely consider. Amphib wise Dart frogs (various species) would prob be my top (and only amphib).

I also have dream inverts including specific T’s and Scorps (still thinking about true spideys). And of course I have dream birds (1 for parrots and 1 for not parrot…still unsure if I could have a bird of prey what it would be). Mammals are relatively easy but nearly all arent pet material (I love the order Carnivora, some bats, some marsupials, horses and some hoofed buddies, some seals are cute and ya you all get my point.)

But my #1 favorite animal of all time is and always be the Wolf!!!