Figuring out the best animal ambassador for a first grade classroom

Depending on your location and the legality of doing so, what about a captive born native species. I think that having a local species (normal morph) would be a great tool to teach the kiddos about something they could find in their backyards!

2 Likes

CB local natives species do offer a special something. I really love corn snakes and always have, wherever I’ve lived (sorry, no offense, won’t move to Georgia). That said, the fact that they’re local in Mississippi made it extra special for my students.

1 Like

Hands down… get a Rosy Boa!! A yearling that’s been socialized. The dont get huge…like a sand boa…& they sit out…like a corn. Perfect. :slight_smile:

Rosy boas are also hardy & tolerant of various swings in temps & humidity.

I have a rosy boa and she does not sit out at all during the day and only comes out at night. Rosy boas also have a legendary feeding response, and even with how socialized mine is, she still tries to eat my fingers pretty often. For that reason alone I do not recommend them for small children (especially a classroom of children that are not your kids and might have parents itching for a lawsuit). They are very slow moving and inactive compared to a corn snake or king snake.

Ndeeds. I’ve heard so many people say that they get bit by their rosy’s. Mine has a killer feeding response… but he never acted like my kings or my Children’s… & has never but me. When I was a little kid…6 to be exact… my parents friends had one that I would always play with when we were over there. The grown ups all left me unattended with her…& there was never a problem. So…I’m extremely partial to them. :slight_smile: