Finding a Space That Will Allow Rodent Breeding

Hey there…Josh here at Ginger Viking exotics. So I am growing my ball python collection and I am at the turning point where I have been mulling over the idea of breeding my own rodents. The area that I am in (NE Florida) has a growing reptile community. Throughout my time in this industry, it has come to my attention that there are only 3-5 legitimate rodent breeders in the area, and rarely can they keep up with the demand of the area. I am seeing a void in the market and I want to capitalize on this income stream, using it to help streamline growing my reptile collection. SO TO THR QUESTION… I have watched endless videos and listened to hours of reptile podcasts. While I realize some breeders own their own space, I have heard others speak of renting a space for their rodent breeding and/or reptile business. I am wondering how to find and where to look to find rentals in my area that would allow one to breed rodents. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Be safe, be kind
Josh
Ginger Viking Exotics

1 Like

I’d try to find an area that is zoned for livestock. It’ll be far easier to go that direction first so it wouldn’t be a hiccup later. Keep in mind it’s going to take a lot of work to get the rodent setup going and be profitable.

1 Like

Welcome to the community! I Agree running a rodent colony is way more work than a snake collection. I don’t know the size of your collection but in most cases it’s actually cheaper to feed frozen and way easier. But if you have a sizable collection it’s definitely worth it. A decent sized colony shouldn’t take up much space. If you rent a space you maybe spending way more for the space than your actually saving. A rodent colony is a huge commitment but is definitely worth it in some situations. I would assess if it’s really worth it for you.

1 Like