First clutch laid! Advice?

Our Anery girl who was paired with our Teserra boy laid a nice first clutch which we discovered today. Seven viable eggs that includes one “mini” egg that’s about half the size of the rest. We didn’t find them right after being laid so they are a bit dented and stuck together so we are incubating them as the clump and have a wet paper towel over them to hopefully help plump them back up.

The incubator has minimal holes, only two on two sides, and is put into a closet that doesn’t have a vent in it so stays around 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Perlite is the medium being used and is wet enough to hold moisture without actually pooling or dripping water. The Tupperware we sacrificed is deep however so any pooling water that might occur won’t actually get to the eggs themselves.

The question is mainly if I need to add a heat source or is 70 to 80 aimbent Temps enough? But any advice anyone can give I’ll take! This is our first time breeding and I am already a nervous wreck.

3 Likes

Ambient heat should be fine. I place my colubrid eggs on the highest point in my snake room as the temps tend to be a bit warmer up there. Start checking them after about 50 days but do not stress if they take 70-80 days to hatch if the temps are a little lower

3 Likes

Ambient temps are totally fine. They may take slightly longer to hatch.

1 Like

I am not an authority, but it would have to make sense that ambient temps would be appropriate IF you reside in the animal’s natural range. They might be able to lay in an especially sunny spot, but they don’t get to plug in their natural incubators.

Also, I am both jealous AND so excited for you! I had to write something here so I could keep following your progress.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

Ended up putting a heat pad and thermostat on the incubator since it wasn’t getting above 73 and I don’t wanna risk losing my first babies. The temp is set to 80. Problem is now though that I’m not sure that heat is getting to the eggs themselves since the container is a deep square. The heat mat is wrapped up one side of the container and the bottom, probe is right against the side. The distance from side of the container, and bottom, to eggs is a couple of inches.

1 Like