First Clutch of the Season

I only have one pairing this year (although a double clutch is always a possibility), and my female just started laying. She might have a few more eggs in her; I didn’t want to disturb her to thoroughly check. So far she’s laid 12 eggs - 11 that look good and 1 that is definitely a slug. Now comes the long wait until hatching!

Pairing is heterozygous red factor snow to fire, hopefully a few hets will prove out.

18 Likes

Congratulations! My female red factor snow should lay at any moment now and I have 3 other females that should be laying within the next month or so also, its hard not to check on her every hour but I resist the urge and only check on her once in the morning and once at night :sweat_smile:.

5 Likes

I try to limit myself to twice daily too. It’s really hard not to bug her constantly though!

5 Likes

Congratulations!! I will look forward to seeing those pippies! Looks like your pair did get the job done​:+1:. I’m expecting two of mine to lay any day now. I really expected Tulip to have eggs this morning, but no joy yet. I hate restraining myself from repeatedly checking, but I’m being good and checking only twice daily. (You’ll notice I didn’t say I’m being patient! :rofl:)

5 Likes

Thanks! I checked on her partway through the day yesterday after I removed these eggs and she appears to be done. So I went ahead and fed her (she’s been refusing food for quite a while, while she’s been developing these eggs), so I’m glad to see her back on track.

3 Likes

I’m always happy when a female will take some food after laying. It tells me that all went for her internally, or at least I interpret to be so. You should have beautiful babies in those eggs!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s my thought too. I always like to give them a quick feel to see if I feel any remaining eggs, but them eagerly eating is further confirmation to me that they’ve gotten all the eggs out.

3 Likes

I’m still egg-less here. Not gonna lie, I’m a bit jealous of your beautiful clutch. :smirk::joy::heartpulse:

4 Likes

Now that it’s been a few days, I candled the eggs (again). The final tally is 9 good eggs with veins, 2 that candle pale yellow with no veins, and then the obvious looking slug has begun to go moldy.

3 Likes

Hopefully you’ll get at least nine healthy babies. You mentioned going to prove some hets. What are you looking for? I’m guessing maybe Diffusion did your female, yes?

2 Likes

She has unknown hets, but my male is poss het anery, so I’m hoping to prove that out at least. He’s also het motley, so I figure he’s got a few common genes that she could possibly have in common with him.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. I always find it fun when there is a bit of an element of surprise. Pippies from those sort of eggs are kind of like self-opening Christmas gifts.

Add images here.

2 Likes

Yes, I think working with poss hets is my favorite thing!

3 Likes

Gave it a few more days before I candled the eggs again (I’m so impatient, so I always candle right away), and it turns out that actually 10 of the eggs have nice fertile veins. The obvious dud went moldy so I removed it, so that leaves one egg that looks good externally, but candles pale yellow with absolutely no veins. I’ll still leave it in there for now until it really starts to go bad.

Beautiful veins in fertile egg:

Versus pale yellow interior with no veins at all:

4 Likes

Oh, nice! So that’s one more egg that’s looking good at this point than you first thought, right?

2 Likes

Yup! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The eggs are still looking good, not near to hatching yet though (as expected because I incubate at room temperature).

Clover went off feed again, leading me to believe she might double clutch. I palpated her and sure enough, felt more eggs growing. Popped a lay box back in with her and she laid another 8 eggs today. Four of them are pretty obviously slugs, 2 looks really good, and 2 look iffy. I’ll candle them in a few days to see how they’re looking. Poor Clover didn’t even get back up to her pre-lay weight, so she’s looking pretty thin and deflated now. Hopefully she’ll be ready to eat today and hopefully she doesn’t triple clutch!

4 Likes

Aww. I hope Clover takes a snack to help her bounce back. And I hope, since she produced a couple of promising eggs, that those do well. I always feel bad when the females expend the energy to produce slugs.

Third clutch?? Dang! That would be seriously rough on any of them. I’d have to figure anybody who produced a third clutch was having delusions of being an African House Snake.

4 Likes

Yes, she thankfully was hungry and ate a nice weanling for me.

I haven’t ever actually had a snake triple clutch on me, but I know it’s a possibility. Have you ever had one?

4 Likes

No, thankfully. I would actually prefer that my females don’t even double clutch. Can’t imagine how hard on them a triple clutch would be. I guess it’s one of those very rare things which have happened somewhere sometime to somebody, but most of us don’t ever see it or even know anyone firsthand who did.

4 Likes