First Clutch of the Season

Eggs are on day 95 :grimacing:

They still look great though. Strong veins in all of them, as well as red embryos on the bottom. I can see the occasional small amount of movement when I candle them. Definitely an exercise in patience!

5 Likes

Oh my, that’s downright…excruciatingly slow! I know you incubate at room temp. I’m guessing that you’re house is cooler than mine. Good to see they still look good. I’ve been wondering.

1 Like

Day 96! Finally! (Edited to add: I’m an idiot, accidentally added a week to my calculations. It’s actually only 89 days!)

And yeah, we’ve been in the middle of a move, so I ended up unintentionally keeping them a bit cooler than normal because the ac at this place we’re temporarily staying can only be either cold or not on at all (not an option since we live in Arizona). My previous room temperature clutches take a bit longer than incubator clutches, but usually in the 80 day range.

7 Likes

First baby out, a really shy and sweet female masque amel. I’m naming her Chalupa. Two more babies have pipped, both amel noses.

She’s got some vermiculite stuck to her, but if you look closely you can see her egg tooth!

7 Likes

Better picture of Chalupa without vermiculite all over her:

And here are pips 2 and 3:

8 Likes

Hurrah! Such little beauties!

I didn’t realize you were moving. I wondered where you’d gotten to. I have missed you. Moving is definitely an activity which leaves one with little time for online activities.

3 Likes

Babies are pipping, but taking their sweet time! Five are fully out, with three pipped, and two not even pipped yet. Unfortunately, the most recent baby to emerge was pretty severely kinked. At least two severe mid body kinks, one of which was a nearly 180° turn, plus a severe kink at the vent, and multiple smaller kinks throughout the body. Even me just opening up the lid caused him to spazz out. So I’m not even going to give him a chance at survival. I doubt food could successfully pass through him anyway and he seems to be very stressed.

4 Likes

And a healthy baby, just to not end things on a sad note.

This one is named Picadillo.

4 Likes

So sorry to hear about the poor little kinked baby, sometimes they just weren’t meant to be, and that’s the hardest part, because you know what has to be done.

On the positive, Picadillo is adorable, I love that fresh baby look. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

They always look so velvety to me when they first hatch!

3 Likes

I’m sorry about the poor kinked one. I can’t imagine that it would have been able to handle a meal successfully and being super stressed may well have been an indication of pain. Of course you did the necessary thing.

Your healthy baby is so sweet. That new skin really does make them look so soft.

3 Likes

This little masque amel came out of the shell in the middle of the night. This one is named Marzipan. I really like the dot right in the middle of the head!

This is also the first one that has had an attitude. Couldn’t get a photo of it, but s/he was striking and doing that open-mouth intimidation. Very cute!

5 Likes

Marzipan’s dot is adorable. I always like those sort of things. Head markings can really give them their own unique special something.

It’s always hilarious when they do those threat postures at all of 6 or 8 g. :rofl:

2 Likes

You’re so good with names! We have a Chalupa crestie! :heart_eyes:

I love how bright they are!

4 Likes

That is a beautiful baby girl! I am super happy for you!

4 Likes

I love her look!

4 Likes

Has everybody pipped yet?

2 Likes

Yup, today finally everyone is out. Total is 9 healthy babies (all amel unfortunately, so dad’s 66% poss het anery proved to not be het). Some of them are also masque and some should be red factor as well, but I’ll assess them properly after their first shed. Two of them were extremely feisty, but the rest were all super sweet. All of them weigh around 7.5 grams, with the exception of the first baby who was over 8 grams. Definitely not huge babies.

Last two babies are Chorizo and Churro:

3 Likes

Nice! I agree that dad’s ph Anery is much less likely, but I wouldn’t 100% say he isn’t. That’s a small enough sample size that it’s still possible hev s het Anery.

Looking forward to seeing them after their first shed. I’m being that Chalupa has Red Factor. I know their coloration can change a lot in the first few sheds, but she’s already bright!

Congrats on healthy babies!

2 Likes

Since he was bred to a snow, the chances of not hitting those 50% odds per egg (out of 10 eggs) is pretty dang low! So you’re right, I can’t rule it out completely, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point. Maybe my one good egg from the double clutch will surprise me, haha!

2 Likes