Frozen thawed feeding issues

I remember hearing about it back when I started keeping and it didn’t make much sense then or now. If you don’t want your ball python to associate handling with feeding, why would you handle them in order to feed them? Luckily it’s starting to fall by the wayside as an outdated practice, as we know more we can do better.

Mine are also all on coconut substrate and I’ve never had an issue.

2 Likes

I never move ANY of my snakes to eat because imho there is simply no need to. As long as your hands don’t smell like rodents and you know how to properly remove the snake from its enclosure, there should be no reason to get bitten.

You are probably going to have to make a concession with this girl @rightkind86 and feed her in her tank. This is what she is used to and she needs to be given the chance to eat on her own. Force/assist feeding is no fun for the snake and should only be done in desperate circumstances. She was eating in her enclosure at the breeders before you got her so she should be eating in her tank at your home.

3 Likes

agreed, I am gonna move all of them to in tank or in tub feeding. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you

2 Likes

I’ll try out some of those methods. Once I move over to tubs I’ll look at paper again or sticking with the substrate and stick with a paper plate or something as you suggested. Thank you

2 Likes

I see where you are coming from and on it being outdated. Pretty much everyone has said to just stick to feeding in tube or enclosure. I guess I get stuck in my ways sometimes but it is time to adapt and use the methods that have been proven to work. Thank you for the help

3 Likes

she will get feed in her enclosure from now on and in her tub once I move her over. I’m just waiting on the tubs to come in from freedom breeders. Thank you for the help

3 Likes

That’ll work @rightkind86! Keep us updated and best of luck to you! :heart::pray:

2 Likes

It’s worth mentioning that not all snakes are super cooperative with the “eat off a plate” method. Some will insist on dragging the feeder off somewhere else to eat. Of my two snakes, the blood python has excellent table manners and will always eat over a plate, but the sand boa…not so much. I’ve given up on using a plate with her and just make sure her mouse is dry so substrate doesn’t stick to it. A lot of that just has to do with the natural behaviour of their respective species (in the wild, sand boas typically drag their prey under the soil to swallow it), but it can also vary by individual.

I’ve seen some people just flip a snake’s hide upside down and use that as the “plate,” so that’s another option.

4 Likes

I seen you have already decided just feed in the enclosure.
I just wanted to add that when I started it was said to feed in another area, do to what you stated “so they know they are getting fed and less chance of biting you”. But I never did do it. As long as they are getting fed and handled regularly, you shouldn’t have a problem with getting bit. Anyone handling them should be thought what to look for in a striking stance and shown how to handle, or avoid if defensive.
Eating the bedding should not create a problem. As long as it is an approved bedding. This will happen and you can’t really stop it, unless you use paper towels or other solid sheets of paper. And in tubs, paper towels do work good.

3 Likes

I have a female Pastave and she is quite the feisty one. I have become very adapt with the ques from her on when she will strike. Luckily she is smaller so if I get tagged I don’t mind, but if she keeps the attitude when she gets big, then I might be a little worried lol

2 Likes