Gargoyle Bioactive set up?

Do you do uvb for your gargs? I forgot you also have gargs or I could’ve tagged you!

This is the light I’ve got for his enclosure currently ShadeDweller ProT5 UVB Kit - Arcadia Reptile

Also when you say moss, I’m assuming the dried sphagnum moss you can get at most pet stores would work? We have some of that already, assumed this would be ideal.

3 Likes

I no longer have gargs, went to a friend.
No didn’t use uvb myself, but many do!

That light is actually brill too, great choice! That’s what I have for the fatties! :grin:

Yes that’s the one! Usually really wet it before adding too so doesn’t dry up too quick :blush:

3 Likes

ah, how sad. Guess you wanted to keep the focus on the cresties, so I understand. You had some awesome looking ones for sure!

Thats good to hear about the light, i thought it would be appropriate for the enclosure we were using and for the species, so glad i got that right.

and cool, looking forward to getting it all set up.

If I don’t have a different enclosure to put him in, and am going to be placing him into a newly built bioactive enclosure, How likely is it going to fail? (plants, isopods, etc).

2 Likes

That’s the uvb I use for my cresties

3 Likes

You really do need to let plants settle as he may destroy, since a male he shouldn’t be digging too much so one’s at bottom should be ok! :grin:

But climbers will be a pain as easy to rip off…

I need to add more into the female Crestie vivs and holding off as they killed last ones :woman_facepalming:t2::joy:

4 Likes

@ghoulishcresties @foxreptile do either of you use additional lighting along with that UV-B light, or is that enough for plants as well?

2 Likes

I made hanging baskets and most got destroyed :joy: they love it though

The only issue I foresee is the plants, everything else should be fine. Maybe some established plants might be better?

3 Likes

Arcadia lights I find are amazing.

Also though a ‘spot light’ you can usually get from B&Q work just as well! Grow plants amazing too :grin:

3 Likes

My Geckos are in our conservatory, so although the UV rays don’t reach through, they get their cycle. I don’t use UV on all my enclosures and the plants are fine, just don’t grow as well or as fast

4 Likes

Maybe we can put some of our begonias or prayer plants in there. We’ve got a few smaller established ones of those that we could move to the enclosure.

2 Likes

My many begonias got severely destroyed :pleading_face: I wanted colour on the ground, but the Geckos had other ideas. I love the heavy duty levels on the prayer plant, depending on how small, it might just survive!

3 Likes

So just as an update. We got the plants all put in, we’re going to be looking for some planters to go on the wall; and potentially get a piece of cork bark to fit the back wall/two walls. But here it is at its current state. He was raised in a tub, so this is a new experience for him. He tends to spend his day sleeping on top of his hide, oddly enough.

Fingers crossed he lets the plants live!

4 Likes

That’s a really nice set up and cool gecko! :lizard::blush:

3 Likes

What’s size?
45x45x60 is a min size for Gargoyles, just like Cresties :blush:

Also you’ll need some more climbing branches and more going across too or he may get FTS which is something you don’t want to happen. :black_heart:

4 Likes

For this, i forgot to mention, i use a small about 10% calcisand for mine, it helps aerate plus its made of calcium carbonate, so the buggos will actually use it as a food source for calcium if needed. At 10% it isnt loose enough to worry about impaction when mixed with reptisoil, moss, and other substrates. It id not critically needed or anything, but doesnt hurt to have as it makes calcium easier for the bugs to scavenge

3 Likes

It’s a hexagon version of the exo-terra. Basically.
Something like 49x43x57 I think. So it’s essentially the same size, just a hexagon shaped instead of square.

And we’re going to add more in the future. This is just a start. Getting a feel for where he likes to try to be and then going from there. I know FTS is not good and something to look out for

3 Likes

Would this be what is considered “fired up” vs fired down? Down in first pic, up in second? Trying to understand. I know some geckos look completely different, and some don’t, so just trying to get an idea.

2 Likes

You happen to have any type of recommendations for the higher up climbing branches? We thought about taking some pieces of pvc pipe and cutting to create a “U” shape bracket a branch could sit in, otherwise I’m not sure what would be ideal for that

1 Like

I use cork branches mostly and cork tubes also.

The pvc will work too though! Many do that, or those pool floats!

3 Likes

Actually managed to get a good deal on some powder orange isopods tonight at petsmart. There’s close to 20-25 in the container, as opposed to the 10-15 listed. Also got some springtails. So I’ve finally got my cleanup crew!

4 Likes