Gargoyle Gecko traits - Category upgrade!

So I have been trying to find my way around the genetics of Gargoyle Geckos and it seems like I’m miles off understanding.

I know that morphs don’t work quite the same as they do with snakes, they don’t seem to follow Mendelian inheritance in the same way.

So, what’s going on…?

Could you calculate the possible outcome of clutches like you can snakes?
If so, how?

What Gargoyle traits do you know of?

Base
Red
Orange
White
Pastel

Reticulated
Banded
Mottled
Blotch
Super Blotch
Dorsal Blotch/Skeleton
Striped
Super Stripe
Aberrant
Mosaic

Side bars
Dorsal bars
Lateral bars

Bacon = Red on Orange?
Reverse Bacon = Orange on Red?

Background Colour
Red
Pink
Orange
Yellow
White
Brown

Horns
Large horned
Mid horned
Small horned

Eye rings
Yellow
Red
Orange
Blush/Tear

Eyes
Phantom Eye
Blue eye

Other traits
Lipstick

2 Likes

Gargoyle Geckos are like Crested Geckos. Their morphs are polymorphic which means that their phenotype depends on multiple alleles. I don’t know much about Gargoyle Gecko morphs so I’ll use Crested Gecko morphs as an example, both of their morphs behave the same. When you pair a dalmatian to a dalmation you don’t necessarily get a super dalmation, the offsprings spots will vary from one to another. In “normal” morph behavior you might estimate that 25% of the offspring will be super dalmation. With polymorphic morphs you might say it’s likely that there will be some super dalmations. There’s no way to accurately predict how many spots are going to occur from a dalmation x dalmation pairing, also there is no set example between a dalmation and a super dalmation. All of a gargoyle geckos morphs are like line bred snows in leopard geckos. Combining one with another won’t result in hets or “hidden” for a generation. That’s why if you were to combine a dalmatian to a chevron you’ll get something in between them. Pairing two of the offspring from that pairing won’t result in 25% being dalmation chevron, it’ll result in maybe having a chevron dalmatian possibly getting a dalmation. Essentially they’re all similar to line bred traits.

1 Like

That makes more sense, thank you.

So a calculator would be extremely difficult, if even possible at all?

I notice a lot are labelled in sections.
How would these be grouped?

Base/background colour, pattern colour, pattern type, eyes, horn size…?

A calculator would be near impossible to be accurate without extensive knowledge from people who keep them and it wouldn’t be anything near accurate. These animals have morphs they just behave differently. For example a dalmation (crested gecko) is a crested gecko that has spots, a dalmation x dalmation will produce more dalmations except there’s no easy way to predict them, a high expression dalmation x a high expression dalmation will likely produce mostly high expression dalmations, possibly some super dalmations, possibly some normal dalmations. So they are still able to be grouped by morph, some examples of morphs in gargoyle geckos are red-stripe, reticulated, orange blot, etc. Sometimes they will have multiple morphs if they don’t interfere with each other (dalmatian [spotted] and patternless [patternless], you can’t have both in the same gecko)

1 Like

So for a calculator, would it make sense for it to be output as “possible damnation” from a Dalmatian X normal pairing?

What Gargoyle traits do you know of?

Base
Red
Orange
White
Pastel

Reticulated
Banded
Mottled
Blotch
Super Blotch
Dorsal Blotch/Skeleton
Striped
Super Stripe
Aberrant
Mosaic

Side bars
Dorsal bars
Lateral bars

Bacon = Red on Orange?
Reverse Bacon = Orange on Red?

Background Colour
Red
Pink
Orange
Yellow
White
Brown

Horns
Large horned
Mid horned
Small horned

Eye rings
Yellow
Red
Orange
Blush/Tear

Eyes
Phantom Eye
Blue eye

Other traits
Lipstick

1 Like

A calculator would pretty much be pointless, with gargoyles a Red, Dorsal Blotch, Mid Horned x a Orange, Super Blotch, Small Horned is just going to result in a pos Red pos Dorsal Blotch pos Mid Horned pos Orange pos Super Blotch pos Small Horned. Basically any morphs from the parents could come in the offspring. I think it’d be better to put that in the description than try to make a calculator which just repeats the inputs.

2 Likes

As Erie notes, gargs are all about line breeding for traits and not Mendelian inheritance. As such, a calculator would be pointless

4 Likes

It’s fine though, the point is still to launch this as an area like Crested Geckos, which has many commonly used tags.

2 Likes