GRAPHIC WARNING! PSA for bulb protection

Aww, thank you for the update! I’m so glad she is well along the road to recovery. She really did get herself messed up. It seems so weird to me that reptiles will burn themselves that way. I know that it happens all too often. I guess that’s not something their nervous system ever needed to handle in nature, but it still seems odd.

Hooray for healing!

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s always seemed odd to me. I know there’s some debate about how reptiles experience pain, but I mean…they do feel it, at least to some degree, and you’d think an animal that’s evolved to use their environment to regulate their body temperature would have a little more sense when it comes to avoiding temperatures extreme enough to seriously injure or even kill them. But as you said, I guess it’s not really something they’re likely to encounter in the wild, so it’s not something they’ve really evolved to deal with.

I’m really glad the CHE I use with my sand boa is external, because she likes to check out the screen directly below it. Fortunately the screen doesn’t get hot enough to burn her, and there’s no risk of her coming into contact with the bulb itself. I have no doubt that she’d burn herself on the bulb repeatedly if she could get to it. :person_facepalming:

3 Likes

Hey @verinium , how’s she looking now after a long healing period?

1 Like

Ill throw up some pictures tonight :slight_smile: she is doing well still. The scares basically became black scales.

3 Likes

Shes in shed currently, but otherwise doing good, i notice some pink, but i believe thats where she had herself wedged into her cork hollow. Ill check again tonight to be sure.

3 Likes

I’m so glad that your baby was so lucky. Definitely looks a lot worse than the burn actually was. Might just need a little extra help on shedding for the next couple cycles. But healing up great!

I have a rescue that has nasty scars all down his tummy still from the worst burn I’d personally seen. The only thing we could think of was the heat pack shifted in shipping. He’s a bit handicapped from the experience from the muscle damage and scar tissue

2 Likes

The burn was actually pretty deep, this is after a year of healing, shes had plenty of shed cycles since the incident. But she is certainly lucky, i wasnt sure shed make it with how deep the burns were.

1 Like

Oooh! I didn’t catch the dates for some reason!
To be honest though, I wish my boy had the burns this baby did. The only part of it I guess being ‘good’ was that he was painful so he didn’t move very much so it helped heal up faster.

This is what we were dealing with:
Warning for graphic photos of course.

It’s so frustrating that sometimes the thing they need most is also the most dangerous. Although I admit a small part of me has to laugh in hindsight about how they love to show off what they’re doing wrong while we’re freaking out and trying to figure out how to safely unwrap them from HOT thing.

1 Like

Happy to see she’s improving. Definitely wasn’t a pleasant thing for either of you to have to deal with, I’m glad she handled it like a champ.

2 Likes

Oof! Yeah, the belly is the worst spot for it! At least since it was my girls side and a bit on top , she could still lay down fairly comfortably and move. The belly has to be terrible for them

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah shes definitely doing alot better… even if she is fiesty and ungrateful xD

2 Likes

Wow THAT is a horrendous burn! Glad your boy has improved and is thriving, even if he might not ever be 100% again

2 Likes