Greetings from the glorious Southern California region

Good evening, everyone!

I’m Erik Veach and like the rest of you, I have a reptile obsession. I’ve been interested in reptiles since I was a boy, running around catching garter snakes with my cousin, bringing home toads to my mom (and always being told to take it back), and making friends with my “friendly” alligator lizards (which I wasn’t allowed to keep either). At one point, I had 4 boas (boy do I wish I still had my Dumeril’s pair), 2 sand boas, 1 milksnake, 2 kingsnakes, a crestie, a Uromastyx and 5 ball pythons; along with the 100+ leopard geckos I was breeding for a few years. Meeting my wife, then moving in together, kinda shifted my priorities and I rehomed everything. Now we have 1 leopard gecko (my wife’s class pet) and a rescued bearded dragon, not to mention the 3 kids still living at home.

As the kids are now older they’re getting more interested in the lizards which has lead to discussions about us moving back into the direction of keeping (and potentially breeding) many reptiles again. My wife really loves Uromastyx (so do I), but I want to get back into ball pythons and leopard geckos. My kids want “snakeys”, so I’m thinking of corn snakes for them.

I look forward to being as active a community member as I can be. I’m always willing to learn and to help others learn. I’m not a trained professional, all I offer is my little experience.

Thanks for having me and TL:DR - I like reptiles, especially snakes and lizards.

Cheers,
Erik

4 Likes

Nice!!! What part of socal. Im from LA but im living in riverisde

1 Like

We’re in Lakewood, out by Long Beach. Not sure I could do a commute from Riverside to my job.

1 Like

Hi Erik , welcome!
I’m another newbie to the forum but on the other side of the country. Any way glad to have you, everyone has been super welcoming so far. hope you have the same experience.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community what type of uromastyx do you like I love the Egyptians

1 Like

WELCOME!
Lovely too see more people joining us here :blush:

Would be lovely to see your leo and beardie! Feel free to post some pics :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Here are 2 pictures of the beardie from this weekend (don’t mind the half naked kid diligently watching over the BD). I’ll have to go snap some pictures of the Leo when I get a chance.

1 Like

I had a red Geyri for about a year. I really like the Ornates, but honestly, I think they’re all beautiful. Lacerta (sp?) would be one I’d really like to keep, but not sure we can get them here in the states. I’m a bit sad to see so many imports of Uro’s, but what can you do.

Egyptians are really amazing, not to mention one of the biggest, if not the biggest. Good choice!

1 Like

Thank you and welcome to you, too. I was lurking for a few weeks before posting and I can definitely tell that this is a strong, welcoming community. Different to how reptile communities used to be just 6 years ago.

They are still like that, I like to think of this a group of people the know how to be honest and kind with their words all at the same time. We love to grow here, and know that in other places growth is inhibited because of community’s impact. In this forum, you can expect to actually make friends over time.

@erock79 Welcome to our community! I hope that you get to experience the life giving encouragement and sense of community that this forum has running through its core. I believe that this forum is restoring this hobby from years of FB groups getting banned/closed. We welcome all people that like herps and if you don’t, you are welcomed anyways. It is all about gaining a place where you can grow through positive interaction with other reptile enthusiasts. Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome! It is truly wonderful here.

1 Like

Haha small world, you aren’t too far from me at all :joy:

2 Likes

It’s definitely small. I’m sure there’s lots of reptile folks in my area I’m not aware of.

What do you keep?

1 Like