Growth spurt

Yeah it might. I liked the idea of moving to them in the first place to give them a little more stimulation but I don’t know what else it would be causing the feeding issues other than seeing me through the tub. They all take live no problem

Do you have hides in the tubs? I have all my balls from hatchlings to adults in the FB-70 semi-clear tubs and everybody seems content and eats well, but I also make sure they have at least one hide in there over the hot spot. Despite the fact they’re in enclosed tubs, they all still choose to hang out in a hide and seem much happier. I think it’s a security thing

3 Likes

I have at least one hide in every tub except ironically The tub this big girl is in and she’s the only one eating frozen thawed lol

Ramses gets 2 because he’s still a little guy.

4 Likes

So strange, snakes can be weird. I pretty much have the exact same setup.

3 Likes

I want bigger bins…I went by several sources “recommended” bin sizes but now that I’m seeing just how big a 1500+ gram female is I’m really begging to differ. I think this will end up being a grow up bin for holdback juveniles not tubs for breeders. But it’s all I have for now.

1 Like

What size bins are they in now?

I have the 5 stack 28 qt tubs from Cserps.
And my 5 snakes range from my male at 600ish grams to Miss Piggie aka Makeda at 1599 now.

1 Like

I had the same setup almost exact as you and @chesterhf have. So I’m sure it’s not that, they may be starting to be picky. The male pied I have left ate f/t for the first year and a half of his life, then out of nowhere he wanted live after going on a very long fast. Last week I finally got him to take f/t for the first time in 2 years lol, so they are weird like that sometimes.
I’m sure they’ll start to come around.

1 Like

I really do think that there’s something about the natural climate of where you live that effects ball pythons, even though the humidity/temps in the racks and tanks are controlled. I really don’t have an answer for how or why, but my ball pythons are thriving way more in Houston than they ever did in Pennsylvania. Obviously it’s an anecdotal experience, but the natural climate here is so much better suited to them. I was always misting and adding extra heating elements to my tanks/tubs to try and keep their conditions perfect before, and now it’s just a piece of cake. Currently the ambient temp and humidity outside is 80 degrees with 79% humidity, most days I could literally turn off all my heating elements/thermostats and just open a window. I also keep my rack by a window so they can regulate circadian rhythm by the natural light, because that seems important.

While I don’t plan to stay here. if I were to ever get to a place where breeding ball pythons became a full time career, I’d absolutely choose to live in a warm and humid climate to set up my business. It just seems intuitive

2 Likes

My little a**holes get in the very tight space between top of the rack and the hide lmao, they now have foliage for hides lol

1 Like

My bad @eaglereptiles

2 Likes

Ate 3 more small+‘s tonight. No one else took f/t tonight…guess I gotta find some live ones tomorrow. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I know you’re excited that she’s eating so much and growing so fast, but I’d slow down a bit as you’re definitely into power feeding territory here. It’s really not great for them

2 Likes

I’ll be mindful of that. But in this instance she’s off more or less a 3-4 month fast, hitting the age for sexual maturity and meals of 10-15% body weight weekly I do not agree is power feeding.

Even if it was borderline…it’s over a 5 week period I don’t think borderline for that short of a period with the other factors involved causes great concern.

1 Like

I know she’s coming off a fast, but 7 small small rats in a 10 day period is still a lot of food, even for a growing female.

2 Likes

Probably just best to find rats that will stretch her a little bit, I have a girl that will eat every day if I let her but it’s still every Sunday like all the other ones

2 Likes

I agree with watching her food intake. Typically once my girls get to 800g they get a small rat weekly and I stop following the 10-15% body weight. Because their metabolism will slow as they grow as well. Then if they start turning into really large girls maybe a medium but just something to be mindful of!
Congrats on her growth though! :slight_smile:

3 Likes