Has anyone successfully done Artificial Insemination on ball pythons?

Fun indeed. I wish I had freedom/funds to be able to just play chase on all of these, but alas, my day job would frown on that LOL

One assumes you are looking at kit with Pied?

I would still suggest Kahl if possible. Fact of the matter is that most collections in the hobby are pretty heavily inbred so you are going to see enrichment of alleles within collections. The more people you pull from might help to alleviate that but you also have to consider that many of them might have sourced their Pieds from the same one or two big known breeders for Pieds

Weā€™re planning on looking at clown next!

Kit or any of the other ones outlined for example in Ahi and Sefc (2017) PeerJ.

We did take care to use different families from each breeder to avoid differences within collections. We have a good signal. We just had to use the new ā€˜chrhomosome-lengthā€™ Burmese reference from DNA zoo to clearly delineate de genomic region. Using the Castoe et al. (2013) draft reference gave a mess but it was still good for mapping snps to genes.

1 Like

So actually the Aiden lab/DNA zoo project is group Iā€™ve been in touch with about getting a ball python genome. I have a friend in that lab and am actually planning on emailing them this week about it. The PI had offered before and I didnā€™t take him up on it

Cool! It would be great if they annotated their references, though. I emailed them about two months ago, but never heard back. Hopefully you have better luck with your contact! I built an assembly with the data I have, but it needs improvement. Let me know if you head from them, Iā€™m thinking of trying their method but I need HI-C libraries.

yeah, that sounds about right for them. Itā€™s a lab full of some interesting, if a bit scattered, personalities.

Iā€™ll let you know when I hear back, and I may be able to get you access to some HI-C libraries as well