Hatchlings houses together?

Is there pros and cons to keeping all the hatchlings in the same tub until their first shed? I see everyone doing it (and I doing it) but I’m not 100% why.

I’m just curious I’ve done it for years because of ease, but other than that does anyone know a valid reason why everyone does it?

In the wild they hatch together and leave the nest around the same time. I haven’t heard of anyone having an issue with waiting for the first shed to separate them.

1 Like

It’s just my OCD kicking in this year, I want to sex and label them and get them into their perspective tubs, Especially where I’m have quadruple the amount of hatchlings this year. I also spent $1,000 on a gorgeous rack system specifically for hatchlings lol

I completely understand. I’m about to buy a hatchling rack for western hognose and my season for them is over so it won’t get used for a while

1 Like

I’ve been using racks that I’ve built personally but most are either for subadult/adult sized BPs, I have limited space so taking up 15 tubs to house each clutch doesn’t make sense to me when I have a 84 tub hatchling rack haha. Normally it’s not an issue but the expo is right around the corner so I’ll need those bigger tubs! And I did end up separating everyone last night, was able to label them all ect. Which makes sense to me because I have some that are sold/on hold and I can label each snake sooner rather than later. And thank you for your input and when those hognose come around let me know! I’ve been wanting to get a breeding pair for a while but just been so occupied with the balls and retics.

I’ve done it either way and there are pros and cons to both approaches. Leaving them all in the same tub until the first shed makes it a lot easier to keep the humidity up, since you only have to spray one tub instead of many. But separating them means you can record the date each one sheds (they usually don’t do it all the same day) and keep better records.

I also tend to sex them soon after hatching, and it’s easier to keep them separate than to try and remember which ones were male and which were female. If I leave them in together sometimes I have to sex them again. I usually try to do that as little as possible to minimize the stress on the snakes.

They all seem to start eating at their own pace. I haven’t noticed any big feeding differences between snakes that were kept together and snakes that were kept apart, but I’ve only hatched out a handful of clutches. I’d expect that separating them might reduce stress a little, but don’t have the experience to prove it. Time will tell which method suits me and my snakes.

Wow, I seriously appreciate this email! I wanted to separate them for all the reasons you said, I have OCD when it comes to keeping records about literally everything when it comes to my animals, especially when I can pass that info on to the new owner once
sold.

I did end up separating and sexing them, I just feel you’re correct about relieving a little stress by doing this.

Thank you again sir, I really appreciate your input.

1 Like