Heating Methods

Has anyone used Stanfield Piglet Warming Pads for Boa Constrictors kept in Vivariums. I am thinking about trying one, but if anyone has any experience with them or something similar, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

It’s what people used decades ago, they work, but there are heat panels and other reptile specific products these days that work better.

2 Likes

As Ted said, they were extremely popular for keeping years ago. The kane heat mat was used a lot for big constrictor keepers since they are reliable, durable and easy to clean. With that said, if you’re interested in trying a heat pad you should consider the zoo med habitat heater. It is lower wattage and far less expensive. Ive actually been intending to get one myself to try out.

2 Likes

Thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate your comments and time.

They are not cheap, but as a relatively new keeper, I thought they solved a few issues over mats, thermal block, cleaning and temperature control. I’ll give the habit heater a look. Again, thank you very much for your help, advice and time.

1 Like

I use one outdoors for a tortoise but wouldn’t really recommend them inside of a snake cage just because even with the built in thermostat and stuff you would probably want to hook it up to a good reptile thermostat to be safe and I don’t think it would be best for ambient temp

I was just thinking about one for a basking area, I would use a ceramic for ambient temperature. It was only a thought, I haven’t had any issues with ceramic heat, so that will be always be the main heat source for me.

1 Like

How tall is your enclosure? If it’s tall then I would recommend providing a basking shelf near the CHE instead.