Hello from Wisconsin!

My name is Devan. I am a soon-to-be new-grad veterinarian (May 2020). I am going into feline-only medicine, but have an obsession with reptiles! I obtained my first snake (cornsnake) as a rescue and was terrified of him for years. During my studies, I became more comfortable with handling snakes and ended up with my first ball python as a rescue last year. Since then, I have acquired 4 more ball pythons (5 total), a mexican black kingsnake, and western hognose snake within the last 5 months. It’s not just snakes I love; I’m also a proud owner of 3 leopard geckos (2 rescues) and a crested gecko. Once I size up my ball pythons, I plan to breed them as a hobby. Follow my progress on my IG: @kaijuscales !

5 Likes

Hello and welcome!

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome to the family :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Devan!

The veterinarian field is a nice chaotic rewarding experience to do!
Why did you choose to go into feline-only medicine?

Is it mainly focused on domesticated cats, or did you take special classes for exotic big cats?

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

@annakirby cats are what brought me to veterinary school. I went in knowing I wanted to do feline-only. I’ve always been obsessed with cats since a young age and I just … get them; both medically and especially behaviorally.

It’s mainly focused on domesticated cats, but I have taken some “special species” courses during my studies. None of them discussed exotic big cats, unfortunately, but I did do an internship at a local big cat rescue learning husbandry and shadowed a surgery last spring! I hope to someday incorporate exotic big cats in my work as well.

3 Likes

That’s pretty cool!

3 Likes

Welcome, from Wisconsin too. What a small world.

1 Like

@eparkinson @kaijuscales
Iowa boy here (now Indianapolis) apples and cheese runs in the fall :slight_smile: go Badgers

2 Likes